This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin maps on multiple PCs

Interesting FAQ referenced across on the Garmin forums. Seems we shouldn't really be installing maps on multiple PCs! How they could possibly police it I have no idea.

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/ejWbVYNWPM1xjJ95INgO49

Comments

• alanb 429 Points
    Wow, I didn't know that! I guess that's what I get for not reading all those EULA's.
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    Well if they keep trying hard enough, in a few years they should succeed in chasing everyone away from their products. 8-}
  • alanb 429 Points
    That is what I was thinking too Boyd. I am not surprised that the EULA language exists, but am surprised that they specifically pointed it out in their forum. And I bet if you searched hard enough you could find advice from the Garmin employees in that forum (Base Camp or Express team) on how to install the map on a second computer.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Guilty as assumed
  • lmacmil 91 Points
    Also guilty. We acquired two late model cars this year which both have navigation. Between that and Google Maps and/or Waze, I see little use for my Nuvi.
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    There's a current thread at gpsfiledepot where our old friend Popej says that Garmin's current marine gps devices won't even load a map unless it has a Garmin copyright embedded in the map data. I wonder if this same feature could be coming to their automotive devices? ;)
  • privet01 195 Points
    Boyd said:

There's a current thread at gpsfiledepot where our old friend Popej says that Garmin's current marine gps devices won't even load a map unless it has a Garmin copyright embedded in the map data. I wonder if this same feature could be coming to their automotive devices? ;)

Garmin's come a long way in the last few years accepting OSM and other maps. So I hope not. However on their marine and aviation devices I can understand them restricting you to their maps only. Why make themselves liable for OSM's or some other map makers mistakes that they didn't profit from.
  • Boyd 1955 Points
    edited January 2017
    Why would that be any different in an automotive device? Your third party map could send you the wrong way down a one way street, right into an oncoming truck. ;)

And I think more people are injured/killed in auto accidents than boats and planes.
  • privet01 195 Points
    Aviation and Marine litigation is more costly and the settlements or awards can be much larger. Essentially it boils down to whether they feel the cost of litigation they'll be liable for with other maps will be offset by sales and/or if they can charge more for those devices to offset that cost.

They sell a lot of auto, hiking and sport devices. I doubt aviation and marine come anywhere near that in per unit sales. So a few good lawsuits might make those divisions unprofitable.

• Boyd 1955 Points
    That is all very possible. However an even simpler explanation might be, they just don't want to lose any more sales of their expensive proprietary maps. ;)