This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Montana 680T

680T has arrived miraculously quickly, two days from Germany to UK! Bit like an old friend coming home after the 276CX

Have spent some time setting the beast up as my old 650T and took a backup. Tried to put in my 'Home' waypoint and the thing rebooted and reset to factory defaults!

Don't know why. To potentially save time and for my future reference:

Can I just copy my backup over the existing files? or (if I could) would I need to get into image territory as I would restoring Windoze 10 boot partition please?

Comments

• sussamb 621 Points
    Basically yes ;)
  • Chris_Sav 58 Points
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, assuming you mean straight copy. Don't quite know what happened but most of what I had added (menu items, routing profile set-ups etc.) had gone, but not everything, will manually set-up and back-up afresh this time in case the problem was carried to the backup.

680T seems so much more familiar and easy to hold and manipulate in portrait mode than the 276CX, wish I could warrant the topo pro maps to go with it but not at £350! .
  • sussamb 621 Points
    Yes a straight copy. Note though that most of your profile information is in the Profiles folder. I just keep a back up of that, plus of course all the maps and BirdsEye I have loaded.
  • Chris_Sav 58 Points
    edited December 2016
    Thanks ,

On the surface, as expected, the 680T is almost identical to the 650T.

A lot more satellites available with the Glonass system.

Battery claims were met on the 276CX which was excellent but I suspect am back to four hours with the display permanently on using the 680T.

680T still feels so much more comfortable to hold, it's just not natural to hold a large device in landscape mode as was the 276CX, your elbow is forced out at a most unnatural angle.

Will see how it performs later today.

Note to self (and moderators), should really have put this in the GPS forum, perhaps mods would like to tidy up?
  • Boyd 1725 Points
    I moved the thread to the handheld forum.

While it should work to just copy your backup to the unit again, personally I would only do that in the event of some kind of major corruption. You know, it's sort of like doing a brain transplant to cure a headache. :)

Glad you have another Montana, too bad that the 276cx didn't work out… but at least you saved some money. All the best for the new year!
  • And the best to you as well!

£300 back in the pocket is certainly preferable to a GPS that I felt let me down badly!