This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Maps

Following Boyd's comment elsewhere on making his own maps, which interests me but have no idea where to start!

What maps are recommended by members now please? My new Montana 680T needs something routable with high detail for small roads on vintage motorcycles and occasionally limited green-lanes. I use TalkyToaster maps now but no single map covers both options and the ones that route off-road don't rule out footpaths which may have styles! The free road routing ones have less detail.

Any suggestions please? I don't mind paying (have to with TT now). I like the look of the cachemapUK but they are not routable. They get overwritten by the lower detail on TT maps when both are activated so that does not appear a solution.

I've been looking at the velo site, any opinions? on-road/off-road profiles to match the Montana would be a bonus.

Advice appreciated.

Comments

• sussamb 634 Points
    As a hiker I'm afraid I can't help, but I doubt there is a map out there that will do exactly what you want. Note you don't need to pay for TT maps as he also provides free ones.
  • Thx.

Free TT maps are not as nice though they road route. I like his Look/feel maps but routing is no good for aged motorcycles as the equally aged rider can't get over styles as well nowadays! Also you cannot have more than one of his maps with contours on GPS at same time. Another of my interests is vintage steam train outings and the TT Look/feel maps are very good for that as they show the separate railway tracks (cache just have single line)

• sussamb 634 Points
    edited December 2016
    Chris_Sav said:

Also you cannot have more than one of his maps with contours on GPS at same time.

True but both maps will use the same contour map so they will be shown on both

• Chris_Sav 58 Points
    edited December 2016
    I tried two with contours on the 650T and it failed to boot. Quote from TT site

Very Important:
    Please ensure that you only have ONE of my contours maps (Standard or TT
    1:50K) on the internal memory and/or a MicroSD card at a time as
    otherwise your Garmin may fail to boot.

• sussamb 634 Points
    Yes, so you have to load one with contours and the other without. The latter will use the contour map from the former.
  • Boyd 1737 Points
    Chris_Sav said:

Following Boyd's comment elsewhere on making his own maps, which interests me but have no idea where to start!

It's a huge topic that is well beyond the scope of a forum post. But if you want a starting place, have a look at Mapwel: http://www.mapwel.net

This is arguably the most user-friendly program for making Garmin maps, and it is a standalone solution as opposed to other workflows that require multiple software packages. I purchased the advanced version many years ago when I was getting started and liked it. I don't think it's so well suited for large projects though, and stopped using it quite awhile ago. He has added a lot of new features since then.

But it could be a good way to "get your feet wet", and I think it runs without restriction on your computer however you must purchase a key in order to send a complete map to your GPS. If you find it useful, then you can purchase either a basic or advanced license.
  • Will take a look thanks