This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

New Garmin Nuvi

pfisher 80 Points
edited January 1 in GPS Recommendations
I was using the Nuvi 3750lmt model. An issue with this Nuvi model compared to using my Phone to map out directions or plan a route. The phone is so much faster and doesn't have to "recalculate" like the Nuvi always does. I gets very frustrating when you are drive and you miss a turn and you have to wait for the Nuvi to "recalculate". When I am driving in NY City, I don't have time to let the Garmin "recalculate" to put me back on the right road. Also, I can't pull over and let the Garmin finish "recalculating". The phone is much easier to calculate the directions from point A to B or map out a route.

With that said, I am looking to replace 3750 model with a better model. I am looking for a better Garmin that doesn't "recalculate" and doesn't waste time. I am looking for a Nuvi to function like my iPhone. I would like the LMT model.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Comments

• Boyd 1724 Points
    I had a 3790 for several years which is essentially the same device. It was especially slow, and newer models will be faster. Hate to say it, but if you want a "Nuvi to function like my iPhone", forget it. Garmin's devices are many generations behind current smartphones. In fact, I don't think they even have the processing power of the first generation iPhone. I have an iPhone 6s Plus and it has a cpu that is roughly comparable to a laptop computer.

BTW, Garmin has actually discontinued the Nuvi series and their new units are called "DriveSmart, DriveAssist and DriveLuxe". ;)

I have been using the Garmin StreetPilot onboard app on my phone (aka "Garmin North America") and it basically turns your iPhone into a Nuvi. Much faster and more responsive than a "real" Nuvi however. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/98479

As a long time Nuvi user, I like it because it seems very familiar. It worked very well until a recent update and now it has started crashing under iOS 10. There's another update that I have not yet installed, so that may fix this issue, I don't know. So I'm reluctant to actually recommend it at this point. Too bad they don't offer a free trial version. Also, Garmin has intentionally crippled it so as not to compete too fully with their dedicated devices.

You cannot exchange any data with your computer. You can save favorites and routes in the app itself, but cannot import/export them. And you cannot install any additional maps. I also have the European version of the app, but it's a completely separate app that must be purchased separately.

I have not spent much time with it, but have been very impressed with the TomTom GO iPhone app. You might give it a try - the free version is completely functional and you can download maps of the whole world. The only limitation is that you can only drive 50 miles per month with the free version. But that lets you decide if you want to buy it. And if you do purchase, it's $20 a year, which is a lot cheaper than buying a dedicated device. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tomtom-go-mobile/id884963367?mt=8

They also have a comprehensive user manual, something that Garmin doesn't have: http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/GO_Mobile_app_for_iPhone/refman/TomTom-GO-Mobile-RG-en-us.pdf