This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Need a suggestion

I am in the process of selecting a new GPS to buy and mount on my dashboard and I could use some ideas from experienced users of these useful devices. Now the more features the better and without relation to cost I am interested as to what the current most advanced GPS products are, and where to locate the best links to the latest models. I've heard of smart GPS's which include products that are voice commanded and can get to know one personally. Many GPS models contain information on millions of points of interest and on current weather and local traffic patterns but when riders in the vehicle can actually speak to the GPS and get it to become familiar with how to meet their satisfaction that would create the most rewarding experience. This discussion however is simply to request assistance in locating the links to the latest and smartest GPS products so if you're not sure of anything comparable to what I've described above that's all right. I still will appreciate any referrals you can offer me. Thanks!

Comments

• alanb 373 Points
    edited January 2
    The current "top of the line" auto navigator from Garmin is the DriveLuxe 50LMTHD: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/523329. You can link the DriveLuxe with your smartphone using Garmin's Smartphone Link app and with subscription services, that will give you some premium features such as weather and traffic.

Boyd will be along soon to explain why you should consider a smartphone app instead of a dedicated GPS :))
  • Boyd 1781 Points
    Yeah, I really don't "get" the point of connecting a dumb GPS to a smartphone. Why not just take the GPS out of the equation, there are pleny of iOS and Android phones with much better screens and processors that are generations ahead of the dedicated devices.

New phones also have GPS chips comparable (better in some ways) than dedicated devices. Most phones now have GLONASS. I don't think Garmin has implemented that in their automotive devices. And phones can also use wifi and cell towers to augment weak GPS signals in urban areas with tall buildings. This is a big plus in a place like New York City from my experience.

The rest is just software, there are literally hundreds of apps. The majority have a free demo mode, so you can try and see what you like. If you want voice commands, a phone is again a big improvement as they use powerful servers in a data center to process your voice - the phone just transmits and recives an audio file. A dedicated GPS depends on it's wimpy little CPU to do all the heavy lifting and will be much more limited.

I just don't see much of a future for dedicated units. For them to be attractive they need to be more powerful and also be connected to the internet. And then…. they would basically be the same as a phone. :)

Now if you have a lower level of expectations, a dedicated unit can have some appeal. But if you want the "most advanced product", I would look at one of the newer phones with a 5 to 6 inch screen, fast processor and lots of storage.
  • privet01 145 Points
    edited January 2
    I'm not sure that any stand-alone GPS for auto use or otherwise delivers the "voice" functionality you expect. It's more that you will have to learn how to speak to it than it's ability to adjust to you.

And as Boyd said, the processors in consumer grade auto gps's are usually several generations back compared to what is in your smartphone. Also, his point about poor reception in big cities with lots of tall buildings needs to be considered carefully. GLONASS and a smartphones ability to use cell tower info to assist in it's ability to know it's position in places where a GPS just won't work.

That being said............. I use a dedicated auto GPS for intercity travel on long trips. I use my smartphone to get around unfamiliar cities or when I want to find restaurants, gasoline or other points of interest. I don't talk to my GPS, I do talk to my smartphone app.

for a dedicated GPS, I'd still stick with Garmin, but Magellan and TomTom make good and popular ones too.