This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin BaseCamp won't let me delete waypoints or logs from my eTrex Venture HC!

Seems simple, but I can't find solution. I did search!

Computer: Mac Mini, OS X El Capitain
GPS: Garmin eTrex Venture HC, old unit but latest firmware, connected via USB
BaseCamp: 4.6.3, (latest version for Mac)

Story: purchased used GPS. Plugs into BaseCamp fine, and reads in all the datapoints from previous owner. I wish to tidy up and delete data. I select single (or multiple) waypoints or tracks, and under the Edit menu, I'm supposed to be able to delete them from the device, but the delete options are greyed out. Can't figure out why. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• sussamb 590 Points
    edited January 5
    BaseCamp won't work with that device, your best bet is to delete all the data directly using the Etrex menus. Mapsource should work with it though if you want to use a mapping program.
  • sussamb 590 Points
    Sorry, just noted you use a Mac so MapSource not an option ... Unless you jump through a few hoops.
  • I believe there used to be a Mac version of 'Trip & Waypoint Manager' but if there is, (was) I can't find it anywhere. Garmin's website couldn't be less helpful for legacy devices.
  • Boyd 1678 Points
    I think Basecamp is compatible with your old eTrex BUT it cannot delete or edit any data directly on the device. So you would have to manually delete data on the eTrex. You should be able to read the data from the device and modify it as you choose in Basecamp. You should then be able to send the modied data back to the eTrex in Basecamp.

AFAIK, Basecamp is compatible with all Garmin devices that have a USB interface. It does not support units with serial interface however, even if you have a USB to serial adapter (or so I have read).

Obviously some Basecamp features (such as BIrdsEye Imagery) won't be compatible with an old device like the eTrex.

I have heard that Mapsource can be run with WINE on the Mac, and thought it would be fun to try sometime, but really don't have the time. I have been impressed by what WINE and WINEBottler can do… and they are free. :)
  • I find it hard to believe that Basecamp and my etrex enjoy only one-way communication. However, I'll keep trying tricks to avoid too much one-at-a-time deleting of stuff. Obviously, with only 24 MB internal memory, I'll need to be able to move maps and data off the device without too much hassle.
  • koelpien 1 Point
    edited January 6
    OK, here's what I found in another thread at, surprisingly, Garmin's forums. On older devices, you cannot delete waypoints on the device directly. Therefore, you have to follow some steps to accomplish a mass deletion, as alluded to a few messages above by Boyd. (Thanks!)
    1. Hook up Garmin to computer via USB
    2. Start up BaseCamp
    3. Read in waypoints and tracks from device to BaseCamp
    4. Delete all waypoints and tracks from device
    'Trip Computer' ---> 'Menu' ---> 'Reset...' ---> check 'Delete Saved Tracks,' 'Delete All Waypoints' etc.
    Choose 'Apply.' This will delete/reset all data on the device
    5. Use BaseCamp to look at the recently imported Tracks and Waypoints, delete the garbage, keep what you want to keep
    6. Use BaseCamp to send back only what you want onto the device. Unplug GPS and restart.
    7. Enjoy a cleaned-up device

I thought I'd spell it out for anybody in the future that maybe has a similar problem.
  • Boyd 1678 Points
    edited January 6
    koelpien said:

I find it hard to believe that Basecamp and my etrex enjoy only one-way communication.

That is not true, Basecamp has two way communication with the eTrex, it can send and receive data. It just can't edit data that resides on the device. This was true of all Garmin handhelds for many years, until the introduction of the Oregon 450 IIRC. In other words, it's not a Basecamp issue, it has to do with the design of the eTrex itself.

Aside from that, you are using a GPS that's something like 10 years old and had no Mac compatibility whatsoever when it was introduced. I think it's a testament to Garmin that it is still supported at all. How many other 10 year old consumer electronics devices are still supported today? :)
  • True. But that's the fun of it; bringing a relic into the modern age. I started geocaching many moons ago on a tiny Garmin Geko 201, and had a blast.
  • Boyd 1678 Points
    That's cool. B-) But I used to have an eTrex Legend C of the same vintage. I would not consider it "fun" to go back to it. ;)