This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Montana 680T not showing as USB.

2»

Comments

• Chris_Sav 59 Points
    edited March 30
    I'm pretty certain it's a two way problem.

The 276CX and the Monterra worked fine on my Windoze 10 USB 3.1 machine, my Drivelux 50 and my 3790T still do, the Montana 680T does not. Thus part of the problem lies with the Montana.

The Montana works fine on my wife's USB 2 machine thus part of the problem lies in Windoze 10 and USB 3.1.

My USB devices are littered with "device not migrated" events, about which there are myriads of posts but no fixes. I have run the Windoze trouble shooter and attempted to update drivers but Windoze tells me I have the best drivers available, but the signatures on the ports I have checked are dated 2006 about which I am very suspicious. I have run the Garmin USB driver 2.3.1.1 installer to no effect, but this is 32 bit. If I leave the Montana 680T connected and try to shut down the PC, it can take thirty minutes!! I have tried 'USB safely remove' which is supposed to cure all USB disconnection woes and that failed as well.

I'll just use the Montana on my wife's machine for now whilst I investigate the drivers on the P.C. further. I just want to get back to using the thing without spending half my life as the Garmin Detective Agency!!
  • truckinguy 110 Points
    Just make sure you the have latesd update..for the 680 which is 2.70.. I have win 7 pro 64 bit on my Dell E6530 and the last fix cured it like I said.. I do have 2.0 usb port as well as 3.0..s I use the 3.0.
    Like I posted this 680 is awesome.. no issues now at all . I'm looking forward to the next upgrade to the Montana.. :)... glass screen... etc like my wifes Oregon 700? nice unit..
  • privet01 145 Points
    edited March 30
    Boyd said:

We have seen a lot of discussion of Garmin USB issues on Windows 10. Still on Win 7 Professional here (and also MacOS).

I've been using Win10 since Microsoft pushed it down to me as a free upgrade. I've not experienced any issues between it or my Garmin devices. For me it is truly the best version of Windows so far and runs many of my winXP and prior games and progams better than winXP or win7 ever did.

The one commonality I see for people that do have usb issues between Garmin devices and Win10 is that they have recently gotten new hardware that includes USB3. And this also applies to OSx. Of course it's not in every case, so I think the issue might be in a layer of the hardware abstraction code for some mainboards that have USB3. My hardware is pretty old and does not have USB3.
  • t923347 406 Points
    edited March 30
    privet01 said:

I've been using Win10 since Microsoft pushed it down to me as a free upgrade. I've not experienced any issues between it or my Garmin devices. For me it is truly the best version of Windows so far and runs many of my winXP and prior games and progams better than winXP or win7 ever did.

The one commonality I see for people that do have usb issues between Garmin devices and Win10 is that they have recently gotten new hardware that includes USB3. And this also applies to OSx. Of course it's not in every case, so I think the issue might be in a layer of the hardware abstraction code for some mainboards that have USB3. My hardware is pretty old and does not have USB3.

I agree 100% with what you say here!

• sussamb 671 Points
    One of the common problems is win10 and mtp devices, a switch of a Garmin in mtp mode to mass storage mode resolves the issue.
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    I suppose it depends on how you use your computer. I wouldn't want a system that didn't support USB 3.0, my Macs and PC all have it. I use lots of large external disk drives, and a cheap disk gives me around 180MB/sec transfer rate. I have a Samsung 1TB USB SSD that transfers data at over 400 MB/sec. USB 2.0 can only deliver about 30MB/sec with those same drives, quite a difference if you work with large files like I do.

Anyway I have not seen any Garmin issues when connecting to USB 3.0 ports on my machines. Garmin is never in a hurry to embrace new standards, I remember they were still using USB 1.0 long after almost everyone else had moved to 2.0. Are they making any devices with USB 3.0 yet?
  • Chris_Sav 59 Points
    edited March 30
    Ditto here, I have a 6Tb file server that the network is backed up to every day (raid 10) and that in turn is backed up via USB to an external 6TB disk once a month that is kept off site.

No changes have been made to my system apart from multiply failing Garmin devices.

Still been digging and got nowhere for certain. I note my system has both Intel and mobo usb 3.0 controllers (no USB 2), which I cannot see is necessary. The Intel one seems in charge as it tries to disconnect USB devices and the system hangs when I try and blatt it. The only way to stop it in device manager is to boot up with just a ps2 mouse attached and no USB. Have successfully uninstalled it but it keeps reinstalling on boot-up. Reg editor will be the next step but not for a couple of days.
  • Boyd 1795 Points
    edited March 30
    Not counting internal drives, I have a total of 35TB of external USB 3.0 disks. :)
  • truckinguy 110 Points
    Chris_Sav said:

Ditto here, I have a 6Tb file server that the network is backed up to every day (raid 10) and that in turn is backed up via USB to an external 6TB disk once a month that is kept off site.

No changes have been made to my system apart from multiply failing Garmin devices.

Still been digging and got nowhere for certain. I note my system has both Intel and mobo usb 3.0 controllers (no USB 2), which I cannot see is necessary. The Intel one seems in charge as it tries to disconnect USB devices and the system hangs when I try and blatt it. The only way to stop it in device manager is to boot up with just a ps2 mouse attached and no USB. Have successfully uninstalled it but it keeps reinstalling on boot-up. Reg editor will be the next step but not for a couple of days.

I'm sure you have tried updateing the controllers.. from another source then one you have done already. I had issues with controllers early on with my E6530 Dell...The intel website for my machine seems different the the Dell drivers.. so I've stuck with Dell's for now and it's been fine.
  • Chris_Sav 59 Points
    edited March 31
    Mine is a mature installation upgraded from Windoze 7. I remember having USB issues in the dim and distant past so it is possible I installed the intel drivers cannot remember. Interfering with the Intel drivers also causes the hanging problem so I am pretty suspicious that the P.C. side of the problem lies there. I want to try the on-board MSI mobo controller but the Intel uninstaller did not work, obviously you have to be very careful to start editing the registry.

I'm going to try reinstalling the Intel controller and uninstalling with nothing connected to the P.C. apart from a PS2 mouse, but that will be next week. You cannot control the P.C. with a USB mouse and USB keyboard when you are trying to uninstall the USB controller!
  • truckinguy 110 Points
    My 680 seems to show up faster in Basecamp as well... so enjoy.
  • Chris_Sav 59 Points
    If you want a laugh on the subject of sawing off the branch you are sitting on!

I'm still trying to get rid of this b****y Intel USB controller which is difficult when the PC is controlled by USB devices, but knowing I had my PS2 mouse I disabled USB controller in bios and booted up to uninstall the Intel controller. I then switched off and rebooted and found to my horror I could not get back into bios as the keyboard was USB!!!!!! and could not press delete.

As luck would have it, rummaging around ancient computing gear in the loft I found a PS2 keyboard - PHEW!!!

Moral to the story?? the b****y Intel controller installed itself again when I re-enabled USB. Heart attack for nothing!
  • truckinguy 110 Points
    Well...how you making out with the 680T?
  • Chris_Sav 59 Points
    Got no further USB wise I'm afraid, Intel were absolutely no help with my drivers questions. My P.C. recognises the 680T which goes into mass storage mode fine, but will then only rarely and after much delay release it. The P.C won't shut down whilst its attached either.

The 680T is like having an old friend back. It's the best compromise solution for handlebar mounting as the display font is much more readable than the Monterra which even on 'huge' is not bold enough.

Relying on updating it on the old USB 2 P.C. for now which is a pain, but I am too worried to keep plugging it into my main P.C. in case I brick the 680T like the last one. I am not happy that the 680T is definitely mounted as a portable device and not needing safe release. My P.C.continues to perform perfectly with my other Garmin devices.

• privet01 145 Points
    edited April 8
    Chris_Sav said:

I am not happy that the 680T is definitely mounted as a portable device and not needing safe release.

I don't understand your concern here. Being mounted as a portable device, which should give it a removal policy of "3", is the safest method to protect it from corruption due to unexpected removal. The other removal policies do nothing to ensure a better outcome, they just let Windows and other programs behave in a riskier manner.

You can verify the removal policy when the device is connected by right clicking on any storage device in the file explorer and selecting "properties" then the "hardware" tab, then select the correct device from the list and then the "properties" button near the bottom, then the "details" tab, then select "removal policy" from the dropdown list. If it is a "3", then Windows will not cache writes to that device. It is write caching which causes file corruption due to unexpected removal.

• Chris_Sav 59 Points
    edited April 9
    privet01 said:

I don't understand your concern here.

Which was fine right up until the time when the 680T was no longer recognised by the PC which is the title of the thread.

I'm afraid I'm not prepared to take the chance of making the situation worse again.
  • privet01 145 Points
    edited April 9
    Oh... a picture is worth a thousand words.... or is that a thousand posts? <<grin>> I assume windows thinks something is still using a file on the device.

Is Garmin Express running on your machine? Try stopping GE and/or any other program garmin or not that you used with the device. Then do the safe disconnect and see if you get the same message. I don't have Garmin Express on my PC.

If you ever installed Garmin Communicator on that PC, maybe you should consider uninstalling it. Garmin Communicator is not needed anymore AFAIK.
  • Chris_Sav 59 Points
    Done all that thanks,

Took an image, uninstalled every Garmin installation on the PC, rebooted, connected the 680T into mass storage and just the same. I only occasionally get that message, and then after some considerable time. Most times it eventually returns to the disconnect prompt without a message after a few minutes to an hour.

My only other though was antivirus/Malwarebytes etc.

Restored the image and retreated!

Oh for Windows to have better diagnostics and to see what has files open!.
  • privet01 145 Points
    edited April 9
    Yeah, I think the IBM system 38 on up through the I series 400 is the only platform that can boast straight forward commands and functions that allow you to troubleshoot file locks and program errors easily.

There are some third party programs that are supposed to help with that. Microsoft's tech site shows this one....... https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
  • Chris_Sav 59 Points
    Good suggestion thanks,

Tried that and killed a few PID's via an administrator cmd window and taskkill but always finished up with explorer having the USB connection and shooting that blanks the screen and necessitates a reboot.

Had hoped to find what triggered the PC half of the problem but guess its down to Garmin as my Drivelux and 3790T continue to work perfectly on the PC.
  • truckinguy 110 Points
    Mine has been asking to load geocaches when starting... don't want that and don't want the message.. know of anyway to stop the 680 from doing this?