This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

App Missing on Nuvi 2699LMTHD

My voice control stopped working on my 2699LMTHD. When I investigated, I found my Voice Control app missing. Express does not list that as an option. Does anyone know how to get it back?

Comments

• Boyd 1724 Points
    Not familiar with your model of the specific issue, but it reminds me of a problem with the Nuvi 3790 a number of years ago. Something went wrong with a software update that caused the 3790 to think it was the less expensive version (3750?) that didn't have voice recognition. This could be confirmed by looking at the "about" info in the menu.

IIRC there was no way for a user to fix this and it needed to be returned to Garmin for replacement. Again, this may have nothing to do with your problem. But I'd suggest calling Garmin support. They can do remote diagnostics while you are on your phone and repair a variety of problems.
  • PJNanook 3 Points
    Thanks for the response. It is still reporting as a 2699. I am concerned about a bug such as this especially since I have had it over a year and it was a refurb. I wonder if this was the initial problem and after a reload at Garmin, it went away.

I have an email into Garmin but as we all know they just work regualr business hours. Sometimes folk on forums such as this are more knowledgeable and always more prompt.

Thanks again. I will report on what I find.
  • privet01 142 Points
    If you are in North America, I find it always better to call them. Once you have them on the phone they can't hang up on you unless you get too belligerent.

It also allows you to say, "I've already tried that" and get a new response to which you'll probably have to again say "I've already tried that". The result is that instead of several days of email back and forth, you'll get to the real fix the same day.
  • Boyd 1724 Points
    edited January 8
    I agree, which is why I suggested calling. As I said, they can remotely diagnose problems and have even been known to authorize replacements on devices that are out of warranty.

If you think this change happened after a recent software update, you can roll back to the previous version. There's an archive here that contains quite a lot of 26x9 versions: http://www.gawisp.com/perry/nuvi/

You would change the name of the file to gupdate.gcd and copy it to the hidden .system folder on the Nuvi (IIRC… but this may vary with model). When the Nuvi restarts it should ask if you want to install software that is older than the current version.

You can delete any old gupdate.gcd file from the Nuvi before doing this. These files are the software installers and are not used again after installation. I like to keep copies myself, so that I can roll back the software if I ever need to.

Do this at your own risk of course, and I would also suggest doing a full backup of the device first. ;)
  • PJNanook 3 Points
    Thanks for the advice. I think I will call them in the morning and give them the chance to fix it. If that does not work, then I may try the loading the old software route.

Can I use new maps with older software? My unit works except for voice control.
  • Boyd 1724 Points
    The map has nothing to do with the unit software. You are not likely to notice any difference when using old software, the different versions often just contain minor fixes many of which are for other regions. Problem is, when Garmin "fixes" one thing, it often "breaks" something else. ;)
  • alanb 347 Points
    Losing voice recognition happened to me a couple of years ago on my 3597LMTHD. I never figured out the cause, but suspect it was related to a software or map update. I was able to restore the voice recognition with Garmin Express >Tools > Optional Updates > Language Files > English. Reinstalling the English Language support seemed to fix the problem.

One thing you could look at is the files in \.system\.ASR to see if anything is missing. For the 3597 with CN NA 2017.30 maps, I have these files:
    en_US.srd
    en_GB.srd
    en_AU.srd
    05J7K9AC.asr
    05J7K9AB.asr
    05J7K9A9.asr
    05J7K9AA.asr
    05J7K9A8.srx

The names of the last five files may be somewhat different if you have a different map version, and the number of asr files might be less on some models.
  • PJNanook 3 Points
    So goes the way of software.
  • PJNanook 3 Points
    Thanks, alanb. I will try that since I can do it today.
  • PJNanook 3 Points
    alanb: When I get to comparing files, I have an identical new unit just in the door (for my mother) that I compare exact file names. Thanks for point me where to look.

I had the bright idea that if my mom, who live across the country, had the same one as I had, I could help her better when she had issues.
  • PJNanook 3 Points
    edited January 8
    Thanks, alanb! I reinstalled English language support and got the Voice Control app back. I think collectively Forums such as this often have more knowledge than a tech support guy you get on the phone.

I am back in business.
  • PJNanook 3 Points
    Thanks to you too Boyd. More info gives me a better understanding of the unit. If I need it, hopefully I will not, but it will help me better support my mom when I take her this new one.
  • PJNanook 3 Points
    edited January 8
    We have a bunch of Garmin stuff. I am on my second GPSMAP unit, the wife's car has a nuvi 2595 (we call her Betty after Bitchin' Betty in aircraft) and I use the 2699 (called Bobby-Sue since you need a good southern name for something in a pick up) in my truck. The new additional 2699 for my mom and my wife has one of the activity trackers.

And we has a Nuvi 770 (I think that was the number) that died a few years back.

Garmin has quite a bit of my money.
  • alanb 347 Points
    Glad you got it resolved :)
  • PJNanook 3 Points
    A lot of complexity in those little boxes. It is amazing that more does not go wrong.
  • Boyd 1724 Points
    PJNanook said:

It is amazing that more does not go wrong.

Oh, just wait awhile and it will. :D Glad you got it fixed!