This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

voices discontinued

nuvi 250 - voices discontinued - any alternative?

Comments

• alanb 375 Points
    edited January 23
    What do you mean by "voices discontinued"? If you have somehow deleted your voice files, just hook up to Garmin Express, click on Tools and Content, then on Language files under Optional Updates. Select your language and all the voices for your language will reinstall. Make sure you have sufficient free space in internal storage on your nuvi 250 before you reinstall the voice files.

If you are referring to the optional add-on voices (like Elfred), Garmin has removed them and as far as I know they are no longer available. I think a company called Pigtones still sells some comic and celebrity voice files. Note that none of these support Text to Speech (speaking street names).
  • Matw 0 Points
    If you are referring to the optional add-on voices (like Elfred), Garmin has removed them and as far as I know they are no longer available. I think a company called Pigtones still sells some comic and celebrity voice files. Note that none of these support Text to Speech (speaking street names).

We have a TomTom which has a choice of voices so can chose best suited. Why would Garmin have then delete/ discontinue them? Daft.

Roll on Gallelio if Trump allows!

Thanks for your reply.

Mat.w.
  • alanb 375 Points
    edited January 25
    Garmin has a choice of voices too, at least in the English language. I have 11 English voices to choose from on my nuvi 3597. What they have eliminated are the specialty voices (cartoon characters, etc.) which IMO were pretty much worthless anyway since they were all non-TTS (didn't speak street names). I guess that wouldn't matter on the old nuvi 250 though. I don't think that device had TTS.