This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Nuvi 885T Slow to respond

Hello
I got an old Nuvi 885T. Once in a while, the gps become to be very slow to respond to the keyboard touch. Some time, it could take 15 seconds and more before it acknowledge a touched characters. This is intermittent. I can't say how to reproduce.

Could it be related to a missing MSN direct file?

I had the problem since I bough it ( used). Latest update installed without resolving this problem.

Any idea on how ( if possible) to resolve that^

Martin

Comments

• t923347 406 Points
    Have you done a master reset on your 885T? This will often correct things like slow respond.

To perform a master reset on a nuvi 800 and 805 series device:
    Remove battery from nuvi
    Place battery back into nuvi
    When the progress bar appears, touch-and-hold the bottom right corner of the touch screen
    Release the screen when "Do you really want to erase all user data?" appears
    Touch "Yes"

Please note that a master reset will delete all of your favorites so it would be a good idea to use Garmin Express to backup the favorites file before you do the reset. Once you perform the reset you can use GE to restore the favorites to your device.
  • arjfca 0 Points
    Thank you
    I did the reset. Will see how it goes today.

Martin
    Montreal, Canada
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    edited January 25
    Do you have the old MSN receiver for the 885T? This service was completely discontinued a number of years ago, so if the device is looking for MSN that might cause a problem. I would make sure that traffic and any other related MSN features are disabled in the menus (don't recall how to do this, sorry).

Might be a good idea not to use the old MSN receiver and just use a generic power supply. But IIRC, the 8x5 series used a power cord with the big proprietary connector so it might be hard to find a replacement.

One way to troubleshoot would be to operate the device on battery power with the receiver disconnected and see if you still have the problem.
  • alanb 375 Points
    Boyd's suggestion is a good one, but if your 885 is like my 855, the battery is about shot. It will only operate for a few minutes. And unfortunately, it is no longer possible to buy replacement batteries for the 8xx devices. I actually run my 8x5 now with the battery removed, because if the battery is dead it will not power up until it has been plugged in for 10 or 15 minutes to get a minimal charge in the battery. But with the battery removed, it powers up immediately.

One thing to check is to make sure you have sufficent free space in internal memory (100 MB or so should be plenty). If your internal memory is almost full, you may need to move some files to SD. Also, are you using custom POI alerts? If you get too aggressive with these, it can really bog down the 8x5 processor. One other thing that sometimes helps is to clear the trip log.
  • arjfca 0 Points
    but if your 885 is like my 855, the battery is about shot. It will only operate for a few minutes. And unfortunately, it is no longer possible to buy replacement batteries for the 8xx devices.

Look on Ebay, you will found compatible replacement battery.

Martin
  • alanb 375 Points
    Just looked (US eBay site) ... I don't find a single listing for a battery that will work in a Garmin nuvi 8xx series.