This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Software Does NOT Recognize my Nuvi 66LM - Old Problem, No Apparent Solution

Hello Everyone,

I'm pretty much at my wits end with all of this so called intuitive Garmin software. Garmin programmers must be past Apple programmers because their software follows the same illogical thinking as Apple. The most counter intuitive computer programming on the planet.

I have reviewed as much information online as I possible can absorb. This has been a on-going problem for years and the helpful hints are all muddled together at this point. I have come to the conclusion that this is NOT a computer or hardware problem for me. I have seen comments that range from it's not Garmin's fault to it is their fault. My opinion is it is the responsibility of the company (Garmin) to supply programs that will work across all modern platforms of the computer world. It is NOT the users responsibility to adapt to the hardware but it is the company and their programmers responsibility to provide hardware and software the will perform properly with ALL modern computers and operating systems.

OK, End of rant so here goes.
I hope someone out there can point me in right direction.

Neither Garmin Express or BaseCamp recognizes my GPS !

GPS - Garmin nuvi 66LM
Computer - Windows 7 PC
Garmin Software -
Garmin Express (latest version)
Garmin Basecamp (latest version)
Garmin Communicator Plugin (latest version)
Garmin POI Loader (latest version)
Garmin Data Cables (Two Actual Garmin Data Cables that were supplied one with a nuvi 66LM and the other a nuvi 67LM)

The first time (this was a while ago and memory fails me a little here) I opened Garmin Express it

recognized my device and seemed to be working properly, with the exception of NOT being able to update my map.

Now, when I plug the device into the computer, Express can not find the device at all. The screen

on the device is locked with the words:

GARMIN (then underneath)
garmin.com/express (and below that)
graphic representation of a device plugged into a computer.

I can not navigate off this screen on the Garmin. I tried every USB port on my computer, all to no avail.

I have unchecked Automatically Launch Garmin Express to see if that would help but I get the

same results as noted above.

The first time I opened the Basecamp program it loaded up and ran OK, I was able to use the trip

planner and plan a trip with the initial installed map. Now when I run Basecamp the program

seems to load OK but it will not allow me to utilize the trip planner. I get a message that the trip

planner is not compatible with the current map. Connect your Garmin device to use it's map or

select another map to use. When I connect the GPS, like with Garmin Express, Basecamp can

not recognize my device. I have also downloaded what are suppose to be a bunch of compatible US

Planimetric Maps from the GPSFile Depot, and installed them on my computer. Basecamp

recognizes all of these maps and will load all of them into the program but again it will not allow

me to plan a trip using any of these maps. Instead I get the same message that the trip planner is

not compatible with the current map. Connect your Garmin device to use it's map or select

another map to use. A Classic Catch 22 !

Of course there is another option given, to buy maps online. I think NOT ! When I am sure everything is working, maybe then I'll fork over somewhere from $50 to $150 for maps.

It makes absolutely no difference if the Garmin is on of off before starting the programs and it also doesn't mater which data cable I use. The result is always the same. Failure !

I have only run the POI Loader one time and it worked flawlessly, but with my past experience with Express I also whole Heartedly expect it to fail the next time I use it.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Garmin Express but not BaseCamp.

Comments

• sussamb 634 Points
    edited February 3
    I answered this on the Garmin forum but as you didn't respond I assumed you'd resolved it.

What you're seeing on your nuvis screen is what should be shown. As for BaseCamp not being able to use the installed maps to create trips that's almost certainly because they aren't 'routeable' maps.

Your real issue appears to be the device not being recognised by your PC. Does it show as a drive on your PC?

See also this FAQ https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/l0p9W9vsc37NJ3vH2b5pF6

You might also try setting your device to mass storage as opposed to mtp mode as some PCs seem to struggle with mtp mode. To do so:

1. Start NUVI by itself and go to Volume Screen.
    2. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
    3. The Developers Screen will pop up
    (may see Configuration and Settings, if so select it)
    4. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
    5. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
    6. Shut down NUVI and connect to PC
    7. It should now connect in mass storage mode.

As an alternative to step 1 and 2 above, you can bring up the Nuvi's "trip information" screen by tapping the speed icon, then press and hold the speedometer for about 10 seconds to access the developer screen. Now go from step 3.
  • Hello sussamb,

Thank you for you assistance in trying to resolve my problem !

I am sorry I did not see your answer to a post I made on another forum. I never received a notification that there had been a reply and to be honest I have forgotten how many places I have posted to trying to resolve this issue.

I have however, seen instructions similar to those in the thread you supplied in your answer but they were somewhat confusing in nature and no where near as clear and concise as those in the provided thread.

I was able to follow the thread and set the nuvi in mass storage mode.

Unfortunately Express still does not recognize my device. It searches and then offers up a screen that allows you to select to search again.

BaseCamp also, still can not find my device.

Once again I tried different cable and every USB port.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sussamb said:

I answered this on the Garmin forum but as you didn't respond I assumed you'd resolved it.

What you're seeing on your nuvis screen is what should be shown. As for BaseCamp not being able to use the installed maps to create trips that's almost certainly because they aren't 'routeable' maps.

Your real issue appears to be the device not being recognised by your PC. Does it show as a drive on your PC?

See also this FAQ https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/l0p9W9vsc37NJ3vH2b5pF6

You might also try setting your device to mass storage as opposed to mtp mode as some PCs seem to struggle with mtp mode. To do so:

1. Start NUVI by itself and go to Volume Screen.
    2. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
    3. The Developers Screen will pop up
    (may see Configuration and Settings, if so select it)
    4. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
    5. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
    6. Shut down NUVI and connect to PC
    7. It should now connect in mass storage mode.

As an alternative to step 1 and 2 above, you can bring up the Nuvi's "trip information" screen by tapping the speed icon, then press and hold the speedometer for about 10 seconds to access the developer screen. Now go from step 3.

• sussamb 634 Points
    edited February 4
    You haven't confirmed whether or not the device even shows as connected to your PC? Does it? If not have you tried a different PC?
  • The device nerver shows up as connected on the "C" drive or elsewhere.

I have not tried it on another computer yet.

We have one more PC in the household that I can try it on. I have been a bit stubborn in that area. I have never had a device or program that I could not eventually come through and make work on my computer, printers, scanners cameras, wireless keyboards, wireless mouse and anything else.

It's pretty ridiculous that I should have to resort to that as a means to get this device to connect. If it even will on the other computer. We're not talking rocket science here, just an apparently poorly designed and supported piece of rather simple hardware. But I suppose that's about the only option left to me. Apparently having one computer in your household isn't enough. What would my options be if we didn't have a second computer. Beg the use of my neighbors computer ?

If it didn't work so good as a point to point directional aid, I would pitch the damn thing in the trash and buy a different brand to try.

I take back the not connected comment. I just checked again under devices and the nuvi is listed the as a unspecified device. Under hardware information it indicates "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)" There is no option available to search for the correct device driver. A quick check at Garmin indicates "Use Garmin Express to keep your device software up to date." When I checked for software updates using Express it indicated that it was up to date, but since it didn't recognize the nuvi as being connected I would think that means the Express software is up to date and not the nuvi. According to the nuvi, the software version is 5.40 which Garmin says should be the latest version. Even if it was not up to date I would have no way to update it because Express doesn't recognize it. Catch 22 again. I believe I did all that the first time I initialized the device. But that was quite a while ago and I just don't recall.

I guess I'll try the other computer and see if I have better luck there. Unless you have another suggestion.

I need to go through this with a 67LM also. I hope I have better luck with it.

• OK, Here we go again!

I found a USB Driver update file/program/driver on the Garmin site and ran/installed that. I then checked to see if Express could recognize my nuvi. Surprise it still could not see the device.

Next I did a right click on the nuvi icon under the Unsupported Devices on my PC. There was a option to select that would have windows repair/replace the driver and try to fix the issue. So I thought why not and I put windows to work on it. It took less than a minute to notify me that the driver had been fixed and to retry what I was attempting to previously do. I restarted the search process in Express and the first time it failed and sent me to a page to select the type of device I was looking for. I selected the device and I was finally on my way, it found my device. I suppose I was registering the device again. It then pointed me to a possible upgrade which I selected. It looks as if everything went OK. There's 2 minutes time remaining to update the maps as I'm typing this. It's now finished and indicates it's up to date.

Next, I guess I'll try BaseCamp and see if it will work.

Thanks for your help, keeping me focused on what I needed to do.
  • sussamb 634 Points
    Great! Progress :)
  • DerFlieger 0 Points
    sometimes it's the simplest solution...
    when you open Garmin you will see that your software is "up to date".. well I don't know what it's referring to but it doesn't refer to the device nor the pc software! go to the top right corner to settings and update the pc software!!