This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Need Garmin Recommendation with Voice Command

Hi. Looking to buy a dedicated GPS to use in my car - one that has Voice Command (and of course gives me audible turn-by-turn directions).

I would also like to be able to add spur-of-the-moment POI or way stops (as opposed having to map them all out prior to my trip) and the GPS be smart enough to recalculate the directions in the correct order.

5" screen is fine. I like the free lifetime maps and traffic updates. North America (US and Canada) maps would be great since we live in WA State and travel to Canada on occasion. Prefer to stay under $200. Like Garmin because of it easy user interface. I'm a first time Smart Phone user, so that should give you some idea of how tech-savvy I am!

Finally, I really don't care about Bluetooth. In fact, that's the reason I'm buying a navigation device. My new (to me) car - a 2015 Honda Accord EXL Hybrid - won't allow me to use my iPhone Maps unless I'm in Bluetooth Source. I hate streaming music thru Bluetooth. Prefer to listen to FM, Talk Radio AM, or CD's when driving. Can't listen to those music sources AND use iphone Maps at the same time. If I turn off my phone's Bluetooth (so I can use maps), though, I lose the hands-free calling features. Thus the reason I'm buying a GPS. I will let my iPhone SE stay connected so I can use hands-free calling thru my car. And ill use a Garmin for Navigation. I have absolutely no interest in checking my email, Facebook, or receiving text messages while driving!

I've been reading various reviews and see most units that have Voice Commands, also seem to have Bluetooth. That's okay as long as I can keep that feature OFF (and bluetooth/smartphone connection is not required)

I see that the Garmin Nuvi 2589 LMT comes highly recommended, priced at $149 on Amazon and Best Buy. For about the same price ($159) at Costco, I can get the newer DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD. But it has mixed reviews - not sure why? The non-Costco (non-HD) model (DriveSmart 50 LMT) reviews are good. All have Bluetooth that I would not need/use, but also have Voice Command that I DO want. Is there a less expensive, non-Bluetooth option that still allows Voice Commands?

And will any of these mentioned units (or another recommendation) allow me to add last minute, spur of the moment stops?

Thanks in advance!