This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Nuvi 2689LMT vs Drivesmart 50 LMTHD - is HD better?

I'm able to get either of these units for the same price. Obviously, the bigger screen on the Nuvi 2689 LMT would be nice, but is there an advantage of having built-in HD (I live in the Seattle area) that comes with the Drivesmart 50 LMTHD? Or does the non-HD version provide the same or comparable traffic info/updates?

NOTE: I probably won't use the Live Traffic app via my iphone (unless I'm able to figure out the hands free calling feature on the Garmin). My car (2015 Honda Accord Hybrid EXL) is buggy when it comes to Bluetooth. Currently, If I have my iPhone SE Bluetooth connected to the car for hands free calling, I can't use my iphone's maps at the same time. Thus the reason I'm buying a dedicated GPS for navigation. Since the phone is already connected to the car, I won't be able to connect it to the GPS as well (complicated).

I don't want to buy the 2689 LMT just to find out I have to pay another $60 for a GTM 60 HD cord in order to get reliable and accurate traffic updates. I live in an area where there's constant road work or accidents everywhere.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• alanb 373 Points
    Many users think both of the Garmin FM based traffic services (standard and HD) are only marginally useful, if at all. That said, there seems to be a consensus that the HD traffic is generally superior to the standard FM traffic in areas where there is coverage. A couple of years ago on a trip to central FL, I found it quite good in that area. More recently in a trip to Minneapolis ... not so much. Probably your best bet is to try to find someone in your area who uses HD traffic and get their opinion.
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    Arent they phsing that out by giving free traffic via their app?
  • alanb 373 Points
    It is true that Smartphone Link Live Traffic is now free and also true that in the NA market, Garmin is no longer bundling a traffic receiver with their 2017 model series. But AFAIK, there has been no announcement that the FM/HD services are being discontinued.
  • Well, I think I found the answer to my question embedded on Garmins website:

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/i34WV8maJa11t7iwvYnz18

So I'm going with the smaller screen, but with HD Traffic!
  • mike41 6 Points
    Just an FYI I have a Nuvi 2699 and a 60 Drive Smart with a Smartlink traffic subscription on my phone.The traffic subscription was removed from the subscription list on the app. Traffic still shows on the app but the pop-out window on the devices does not happen I have driven in Washington DC, Richmond Va, and Pittsburgh Pa. No traffic on the GPS screens. Before this subscription change traffic worked well on both devices in these areas. Garmin support has been no help.
  • Boyd 1786 Points
    So the good news is that smartphone traffic is now free… but the bad news is that it no longer works? ;)

Have you tried doing a hard reset on the Nuvi? http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/21511/x/p1/
  • alanb 373 Points
    edited February 22
    This problem was reported by some iPhone users in early January over on POI Factory, after the Smartphone Link app was updated with the free Traffic instead of paid subscription. One user posted this which may be of some help:
    As I previously posted, I have an iPhone 6 with iOS 10.2 running. I had SmartPhone link 2.2 on my phone and I upgraded it to the new version (2.3) and lost live traffic via Bluetooth. So I downgraded back 2.2 and traffic was working again.

After reading some of your comments, I went ahead and upgraded the app once again to version 2.3 and saw no traffic. So I deleted the app and then re-installed it. Traffic now works. So in my case, simply upgrading the app via the app updates most likely did not do a clean install. Deleting the new app and re-installing it fresh seems to have worked for me. I did leave the GPS and phone running for several minutes before I checked it. The traffic did match on the GPS and phone.

-Mark
    Note that this problem seemed to affect some (but not all) iphone users and did not affect the android users.
  • mike41 6 Points
    Thank you for the comments. I have a Nuvi & a Drive Smart with the same traffic issue. I didn't do a hard reset I did a removable and reload of the app. All the SmartLink features such as weather and photo live cameras work fine on Bluetooth connection. I have been in contact with Garmin with no solution. I really miss the traffic feature.
  • Boyd 1786 Points
    mike41 said:

I didn't do a hard reset

Why not? Don't know if it will help, but it is a standard step that should be taken when you are having problems with the GPS.
  • mike41 6 Points
    Thank you, The reason I did not do a hard reset is I currently do not have time. I use trip planner daily and do not want to loose that information at this time I did talk to Garmin support. They said to do a backup on GE prior to the reset. I do not want to chance the loss of this planning. As an FYI Garmin's only advice was to borrow an Android phone to confirm if this is a phone or device problem. I have an I phone
  • sussamb 663 Points
    edited March 11
    Time? A master reset takes a few minutes. If you're concerned about losing data use BaseCamp and copy all the data from your nuvi into that, you can see exactly what's on your device and exactly what you've backed up. It really shouldn't be a big issue.
  • mike41 6 Points
    I will be returning home in a few days I will then try the master reset as I am concerned about losing data. I have this problem on 2 different model devices, This makes me think it is an app issue. I have found a workaround to receive traffic. When I am in the area where traffic is a concern I travel with the pop out window active. Traffic works fine. Previously to the recent app update, the window would automatically pop out when traffic was an issue. This alerted me to unusual traffic.