This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Nuvi 2595 to Garmin RV 770 LTMT-S

I have used my Nuvi 2595 for almost 6 years and it has served me well with new maps a few times a year and actually never got me lost.

Being that I travel in my 38 ft motorhome and car in tow between 3 to 4 months a year I was looking into the NEW Garmin RV 770 LTMT-S that is soon to be released (March 2017) for RVers.
It may just be a DEZL 770 that is a truckers gps with some changes in the vehicle graphics but I have tried to compare the two and found the NEW RV 770 has a better screen resolution and has voice commands and junction view as well as a few other nice features.
Has anyone else been looking into this new gps?
Does anyone know if it has a better processor or more internal memory?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• iggy 96 Points
    I forgot it has a almost 7" screen which us older folks like. lol
  • alanb 364 Points
    edited February 23
    Hard to comment on a device that is not released yet, but one thing that was noted over on POI Factory is that the RV 770 (unlike the older RV 760 and dezl 770) does not have a powered mount. In other words, you have to plug the power cable directly into the device. I don't have an RV, but for me, that would probably be a deal breaker.
  • iggy 96 Points
    Physical & Performance

Physical dimensions
    6.8”W x 3.9”H x 0.7”D (17.3 x 9.9 x 1.9 cm)

Display size
    6.0"W x 3.5"H (15.2 x 8.9 cm); 6.95" diag (17.7 cm)

Display resolution
    1024 x 600 pixels

Display type
    multi-touch, glass, WSVGA color TFT with white backlight

Weight
    8.57 oz (243 g)

Battery
    rechargeable lithium-ion

Battery life
    up to 1 hour

High-sensitivity receiver
    Maps & Memory
    Preloaded street maps
    Includes lifetime map updates
    nüMaps Guarantee

Built-in memory
    internal solid state

Accepts data cards
    microSD™ card (not included)

Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest)

Waypoints/favorites/locations

Navigation Features

Speaks street names (e.g. "Turn right ON ELM STREET in 500 ft.")

Voice-activated navigation (operate device with spoken commands)

Traffic compatible
    Yes ( via Smartphone Link)
    Lifetime traffic updates

Lane assist (guides to proper lane for navigation)

Junction view (displays junction signs)
    Yes (photoReal junction view)

Route avoidance (avoid highways, tolls etc.)

Hands-free calling

Speed limit indicator (displays speed limit for most major roads in the U.S. and Europe)

View upcoming points of interest along route

Additional
    •Trip planner: yes
    •Trip log: yes
    •Garmin Real Directions™ landmark guidance: yes
    Foursquare POIs: yes
    •Smart notifications: yes
    •BLE capable: yes

Is it worth $399.99?

• Boyd 1744 Points
    edited February 23
    A 600x1024 screen is unprecedented for Garmin, 480x800 is the highest res screen they have introduced so far, so who knows what to expect from that. But my guess is that it will make very little if any difference. The image on the 480x800 screen nuvi's and dezl's looks exactly the same as the old 272x480 screen models, everything is just bigger. In other words, they don't make any use of the greater pixel count, so you don't see any more of the map on the higher resolution screens.

I have a Dezl 760 and they don't even make good use of the 480x800 resolution, you have a big 7 inch screen but when you do a "Where To" search, it only display 4 results at a time in a huge font. Guess it is easier for Garmin to just dumb everything down to the lowest common denominator….

I could never understand why people are so excited about the powered mounts. How hard is it to unplug a cable? And if you're driving a big expensive motorhome, are you really going to be worried that someone will break in just to steal the GPS? ;) Anyway, I'm not at all impressed with the powered mount on 760. It looks and feels cheap, and I am always accidentally releasing it because the button is right where you'd grab it to adjust the screen and it has a hair trigger. ;)
  • iggy 96 Points
    Thanks boyd for your input.
    So the resolution is no biggie which is understandable like you described.
    Now I think this new 770 just has the 12 volt plug like I have on my Nuvi 2595 which is fine by me.
    I also didn't like that magnetic mount they came up with.
    When the RV 770 shows up at best Buy I will go over and play with it and get back to you here.

• Boyd 1744 Points
    Yeah, I think you need to see one in person, or read some first-hand user impressions before making a final choice. Will look forward to hearing what you think - especially about the new higher resolution screen.
  • Ramaprem 110 Points
    "I could never understand why people are so excited about the powered mounts."
    A powered mount has a much better speaker than the unit itself.

"I also didn't like that magnetic mount they came up with."
    I purchased my 3597 because of its (magnetic) mount. It's the greatest - in my opinion, natch.

"I am always accidentally releasing it because the button is right where you'd grab it to adjust the screen and it has a hair trigger."
    That's why I went from using a 3590 to the 3597.
  • alanb 364 Points
    edited February 23
    I think if you leave the unit mounted in the vehicle all the time the powered mount would not have much advantage. But if you remove it frequently, the powered mount is more convenient for removing and reattaching. It also saves wear and tear on the USB connector which is a common point of failure as the device ages. In my case (3597) I purchased a second magnetic mount for my pickup. I have the mounts permanently attached (vent attachments) so it is very easy to move my 3597 from car to pickup and back.

But you either like them or hate them, so as with most features it comes down to individual preference. Incidentally, I think that unfortunately Garmin has removed the speaker on the newest devices that have a powered mount (DriveLuxe models).
  • Boyd 1744 Points
    edited February 24
    Ramaprem said:

A powered mount has a much better speaker than the unit itself.

I was talking about the Dezl 760, it is a completely different beast from the 35xx series. There's a big speaker on the back of the GPS itself. The powered mount is just a cheap hunk of plastic, it does not have a speaker. However it does have an audio output and video input connector.