This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

usb cable for 2557?

I am missing the cable to hook my 2557 to my pc. Of course, one end is usb. But what size is on the other end? Do I have to buy a propriatary cable from Garmin or is it one of the standard sizes?

Comments

• alanb 375 Points
    edited February 24
    The USB port on most nuvi's is the micro USB size. Most standard fully wired micro USB cables will connect your nuvi to the computer in data mode for applying updates. There are some USB cables that are wired for charging only, so you want to avoid them.
  • allan473 80 Points
    Thanks a bunch
  • privet01 145 Points
    I would have thought it to be a mini-usb. That is what all my Garmin's use. Though they are older hardware.
  • alanb 375 Points
    edited February 25
    You are absolutely right privet01.... think I had a brain fart! MINI USB NOT MICRO USB!

And ... my sincere apologies to allan473 for the misinformation. Please see this:
    http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn212/radioraiders/mini-micro-usb-connector.gif

You want a USB cable like the one on the left.
  • allan473 80 Points
    I am all set now. I found a friend with a phone which uses a mini and it fit.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    privet01 said:

That is what all my Garmin's use. Though they are older hardware.

Not familiar with the OP's model, but my Nuvi 3550 and Dezl 760 both use micro USB connectors on the device itself. The cradle has mini USB. Anyway, glad he got the cable he needed.
  • alanb 375 Points
    I forgot about that Boyd. I think the 2012 models with powered mounts had the micro USB port. All 4 of my Garmin devices have a mini USB port even though the 3 nuvi's do also have a powered mount. It appears that Garmin was trying to keep the 2012 models ultra thin.