This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

How can I get directions to a wifi headset?

I bought a new Nuvi 2598LMTHD to replace my Nuvi 55 on my motorcycle because it had wifi. Thought I could send the turn-by-turn gps directions to an earbud. It's difficult to hear the gps over the engine noise + sometimes the glare makes it impossible to see. Anyway, come to find out, you can only pair it to a phone + not an earbud. I don't understand, if the gps is paired to the phone + the phone is paired to the earbud, why won't it work? Any other suggestions how I can get the gps sound to an earbud? I will say, love the new map with Canada + Mexico added. Also, the HD traffic is SPOT ON!

Comments

• Boyd 1781 Points
    Do you mean bluetooth and not wifi? Garmin has intentionally prevented the Nuvi series from doing what you want. It isn't a technical issue, it's a marketing strategy. They want motorcycle owners to buy their expensive Zumo models.
  • Jarhead127 0 Points
    Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanx, was afraid of that. No way gonna spend what they want for the Zumos when you can PU a Nuvi for less than $100 + a $15 weatherproof case on ebay.
  • Boyd 1781 Points
    Another option would be to forget the Nuvi and just use your phone with an app. There are a number of apps on both Android and iOS where the entire map is loaded on your phone just like a Nuvi, so you don't need cell service to use them. TomTom, HERE and Navigon have iOS and Android apps, Garmin has the StreetPilot app for iOS, it looks like the Nuvi.

That being said, I'm not sure if any of these would have the kind of route planning capabilities that some motocyclists might want. So you would need to look more closely at that. The TomTom app has a fully functional free trial that is only limited by the number of miles you can drive. The basic HERE app is also free.