This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

RV 770 NA LMT S

Does anyone know why this GPS unit have been delayed for release?

Comments

• sussamb 664 Points
    Garmin?
  • LarryJoe 1 Point
    Why yes. Garmin RV 770NA LMT S, was suppose to be released about now then they up dated and moved out availability. To another 3-5 weeks. What it was at the end of January.
  • privet01 145 Points
    edited March 8
    newsroom.garmin.com/press-release/automotive/garmin-debuts-rv-770-lmt-s-live-services-and-travel-data-camping-enthusiast#http://

That's the original press release. They just say expected to be available in February. I don't think it's unusual for press dates to be more optimistic than what the production department might think reasonable. It might be that the pre-orders were so great that they felt necessary to delay til production ramped up.

Also it's possible there might be something going on internally due to the shooting of two of their engineers, one of which died. Though they were in Garmin's aviation division, there may be some strong emotions going on or re-shuffling of staff that delayed things.

• Boyd 1794 Points
    edited March 8
    GPSCity says it will be available on April 6. TheGPSstore says it will be available April 10. Amazon says "this item has not yet been released". You can easily check other vendors with a quick internet search like the one I just did. Some vendors probably have an option to notify you by e-mail when it's available.
  • alanb 375 Points
    edited March 8
    The only other 2017 Garmin model that has not hit the shelves is the DriveSmart 61. The Rv 770 and DriveSmart 61 look identical in the pictures, so I suspect they are the same hardware with different software. My guess is that the delay is related to the form factor with the 6.95 screen size. AFAIK, these are the only two models Garmin has introduced with this size screen.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    edited March 8
    You might also ask yourself if you want to be the "first kid on the block" with a completely new Garmin design. No way to really tell, but many people have been frustrated with all the bugs in new devices. Personally I'd want to wait several months for user reactions before buying something like this, especially if I was going to depend on it while travelling. At minimum, I'd plan to bring some kind of backup device.

But that's just me. ;)
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    Garmin needs to seriously consider reducing the price of their GPS units.
    Its ridiculous charging more than for a full fledged cell phone.

I would love to upgrade my 2015 GPS but I am not going to pay these prices for a new unit
    When the unit dies I will switch to my phone for navigation.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    Good luck. I've tried using a phone for navigation, no where near as good as my Garmin but OK for simple A to B routes.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    edited March 9
    Phones and dedicated GPS units are just small computers. The GPS chips in new phones are really very good in my experience, and phones are several generations ahead of what Garmin offers in terms of CPU, RAM , graphics chips and displays.

So it all comes down to software. Garmin certainly understands this, and although they offer the StreetPilot app, they have intentionally crippled it so it won't be a serious competitor. The TomTom app is better, they seem to be seriously interested in the smartphone market.

• LarryJoe 1 Point
    There is some really points here. I normally don't buy new things hitting the market due to the usual flaws. And it will be overly priced, but I figured I have other Garmin products that have worked great. I was contemplating the RV 660 but the graphics on the new model had a nice touch. I guess as long we keep buying they will continue charging high prices. Like the 70 thousand dollar pickup truck. But that is a different subject. :) thx for all the feedbacks.
  • alanb 375 Points
    I noticed today that Crutchfield is showing the RV 770 LMT-S in stock. None of the other online stores (amazon, gps city, the gps store) seem to have it in stock though, so I would be suspicious.
  • Ramaprem 110 Points
    "The GPS chips in new phones are really very good in my experience..."

I'm new to (really)smart phones, but was hearing all along that the chips in phones were far weaker/inferior than those in dedicated GPS devices.
    I have a spanking-new phone - and am very impressed with its GPS capabilities. I don't use it for auto navigation, but use maps.me for pedestrian use. Very impressed with its performance.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    I think those comments about phones date back several years. But the technology is changing rapidly, with major companies updating their phones every year. The new phones all have GLONASS which none of the Nuvi's have (don't know about the Drive series, but I haven't seen any claim of GLONASS for them).

Phones definitely have an advantage for urban navigation where there are big buildings. They can use wifi and cell signals to get more accurate positions when satellites are blocked. I find this makes a big difference in New York City, both driving and walking.

Phones also have processors that are far faster than a nuvi or a handheld, the new generations are in the same class as laptops.
  • alanb 375 Points
    @LarryJoe ... A couple of online retailers (theGPSStore and B&H photo) are now showing the RV 770 as in stock. I assume other online and brick and mortar stores will have them soon.