This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Anyone know of App that just records your gps track?

Anyone know of any Apps that just log your position and possibly give you onscreen data of distance, time, speed? I'd also want to be able to transfer that log to my computer. Hopefully as a .gpx, .tcx.

I'm not interested in maps. And cloud services are a negative. I don't want my data out of my control. I realize the last two points probably nix any motive that someone would have for writing an app, but I thought I'd ask.

I'm looking for something to use to record my long walks. I have an edge500 that works reasonably well for walks, with the exception that I have to change the autopause setting each time I change from walking to bicycling. I have some older hanhelds, but they are bigger than I really want to carry. I thought about the etrex 10, but then it's still as big, and thicker than my phone that I already carry.

Comments

• Boyd 1737 Points
    edited March 9
    You don't mention what operating system you want. On Android, Oruxmaps can certainly do this. You don't have to load a map if you don't want one. But you can load maps from many free sources using wifi at home, so no data connection is required out on the road. You can export them as .gpx files by directly connecting the phone to your computer. Oruxmaps is free - see the manual here: http://www.oruxmaps.com/oruxmapsmanual_en.pdf

On iOS there is Galileo (they also have an Android version). It can do pretty much the same thiing, but the program is not as feature-rich as Oruxmaps and IIRC you need to buy the "pro" version to use tracks. However I think it only costs $9 and you get a free 5 day trial to see if you like it. https://galileo-app.com/manual.html

I'm sure there are many others. Have a look at either the iTunes or Google Play store.
  • privet01 145 Points
    Boyd said:

You don't mention what operating system you want.

Oooooops.. my bad!

You are correct, I'm an android user.

I've done a short look through googleplay, but quickly got distracted by other stuff. I'll definitely take a look at oruxmaps after I cool down from todays bike ride.

One of the things I hate about smartphone apps is that you have to give up all your privacy. Not a problem as long as the app makers use it responsibly. But I'm leery that one day they'll change their minds.
  • Boyd 1737 Points
    Not sure why you would give up privacy with an app like Orux. Yes, it will want to access your position and it will store your track on the phone. But none of that will be shared unless you specifically allow it.

Garmin is not so different, have a look at their privacy policy sometime: http://www.garmin.com/en-US/legal/privacy-statement

They can harvest data from your gps when you connect for firmware updates. On the newer automotive devices they have added a privacy preference. But if you don't allow your location to be available, some features like traffic. myTrends and TrafficTrends won't work.
  • privet01 145 Points
    Like I said, when they are good, it's okay. But you never know if they'll change their mind or be careless. And once they change then it's too late.
  • Boyd 1737 Points
    Just yesterday FBI Director James Comey said "There is no such thing as absolute privacy in America" ;)
  • sussamb 634 Points
    Same in most places, and with those around intent on doing us harm I have no issues with that ;)
  • privet01 145 Points
    edited March 10
    And one of the reasons is because we voluntarily give it up every time we accept the ULA's and privacy agreements of software and apps we use. The carrot is too irresistible. Even for me. Free apps aren't free. Its just that someone else is paying for the treasure trove of information they can gather. Even when personal details are omitted.

And it didn't take Comey's statement yesterday. I've been aware of this since I first connected to the internet in the 80's.
  • Boyd 1737 Points
    edited March 10
    As soon as you turn on your cell phone or computer, your "privacy" is gone. I don't feel that using a GPS app really changes anything in that regard. And even if someone could look at my location… so what? Having you passwords, credit cards and bank accounts hacked are a much bigger worry.

But…. "whatever". Why did you start a thread about GPS apps if you don't want to use one? ;)
  • privet01 145 Points
    I looked at oruxmaps. It's more than I need, but hey why not. The other stuff might be useful.

@Boyd.... Do you use this a fair amount? Are the controls obvious for when you might potentially be sending information to the cloud? Or to destinations other than your phones storage?

I noticed they state that the new version is no longer on googles play store. I didn't see any version of it there. Is the dispute anything significant or a matter of google can't be sure they are getting their cut?
  • Boyd 1737 Points
    I use an iPhone for everything now. A couple years ago I got an Android tablet and used it with Orux and a other maps in the car for awhile. With a 5.5" phone now, I don't need the tablet and have not used it for over a year.

So you will have figure the details out for yourself. I just noticed that part about not being available at Google Play, I don't really understand the issues and implications there. I'm really not an "Android guy", but was always impressed with the feature set in Orux. However, my focus is always on making my own maps and using them in apps. Orux is great for that, and I also really liked all the customization options for the user interface, I wish there was an iOS version.

Frankly, I have very little interest in gps tracking, it's almost always disabled on all my dedicated devices as well as the apps that I use. I'm more interested in where I'm going than where I've been. :)
  • privet01 145 Points
    Boyd said:

But…. "whatever". Why did you start a thread about GPS apps if you don't want to use one? ;)

Never said I would not use one. I just want to have as much control of my data as possible. I don't like all the apps that think sending all your data to the "cloud" is a great thing. It's even becoming a pain on OSx and Windows with them wanting to give me connectivity to all my devices through the "cloud". I have my own ways to connect them privately. I don't need theirs.

One time I was looking for a spider solitaire app to put on my tablet. Almost all the apps wanted access to my contact list and location. Some didn't even appear to have any social function connected with the game so why should I let them see my contacts and location.