This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Express 5.2

Ever since upgrading to 5.2, I've had a problem with updating my 2599. It often takes at least 3 tries to install even a small speed camera update - the screen seems to lock or just keep cycling at the preparing, downloading or installing stages. I've had to reinstall the driver twice, which solves the problem for that time, but then it reoccurs at the next update. 5.1 was fine so its only been since the update to 5.2. Anyone else experienced issues with 5.2?

Comments

• sussamb 621 Points
    edited March 13
    No, but then I don't use Garmin speed cameras.
  • Sunrise 41 Points
    Hi 'LastLancer' I am using Garmin Express 5.2.0.0 and updating my Safety Cameras Europe with no problem at all so I cannot help with your problem.
  • Ramaprem 60 Points
    edited March 13
    Express is not the world's best written software. I have had problems with it - version after version.

See the topic, "Garmin updates": last post here, 9. February. The solution might be there.
  • privet01 142 Points
    edited March 13
    Ramaprem said:

Express is not the world's best written software. I have had problems with it - version after version.

I agree. Garmin mapudater just worked-- period-- the end. However I have had to use Express for the last couple updates and it's less buggy and works much better than it did several years ago.

• sussamb 621 Points
    I've now used Express for years and it's worked every time except for one update about a year or so ago when it deleted voice files. Invariably any issue is due to a poorly maintained OS rather than a fault in Express.
  • privet01 142 Points
    edited March 14
    So
    sussamb said:

Invariably any issue is due to a poorly maintained OS rather than a fault in Express.

What do you base that on? My OS's are updated regularly and current supported versions (Win10 64bit and El Capitan). And the OS's at the times I had issues with GE were similarly current.

I'm not disagreeing with your experience. I'm sure there are many more successes than failures. However Garmin Express didn't perform well for me on at least three different occasions and it's predecessor succeeded in the same environment.

I might go for the argument that Garmin Express doesn't/didn't handle older Garmin products very well.

Just friendly conversation........... don't read this as angry argument.... I'm just curious and might learn something.
  • Boyd 1725 Points
    edited March 14
    Geez, how hard is it to get a program like Express right? I mean, all it does is download files and copy them to a gps. ;)
  • Ramaprem 60 Points
    "I might go for the argument that Garmin Express doesn't/didn't handle older Garmin products very well."

That's not my experience - and not an explanation that satisfies me.

My device is only a few years old, and has had issues with the various versions of Express since it was new.
    And my OS (Mac OS X) has never been poorly maintained.
  • sussamb 621 Points
    Not every problem is an OS issue I agree but the majority of the ones raised on the Garmin forums are. I also agree with you that Express has more issues with older units, in many cases being unable to cope with installed SD cards. Overall though GE now appears to work well for most people, at least those with nuvis, zumos and other on the road devices. It does struggle though to cope with the myriad of fitness devices it now has to also work with, and it's issues there that cause the vast majority of GE updates.
  • alanb 347 Points
    Yeah, I have seen all those complaints about Express with fitness devices (which I don't have any experience with). It makes me wonder if Garmin made a mistake by integrating Express with Connect instead of keeping the fitness synchronization as a separate program/process.
  • privet01 142 Points
    I wonder it part of it is the platform/language it's coded in. I've felt at times they may have discontinued support for webupdater, mapupdater and garmin communicator because they were based on a platform that will not meet future needs and possibly because of security issues that arise when you have to deal with data going from an individuals pc to the web.

Possibly the platform/language that Garmin Express is written on satisfies that better, but still isn't very good at doing the things Garmin Express needs and is actually outside the control of Garmin. Other than they could scrap all the expensive development and go to something else and take the hit on their balance sheet which won't be good for shareholder relations.