This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

What kind of Traffic feature does my nüvi 3590 have?

I'm confused about what kind of traffic my nüvi 3590 has. About a year and a half ago I bought it used from a seller who represented it as a 3590LMT, so I thought it was going to have Garmin's basic "Traffic" feature. But when it arrived, I saw that the box top had a little orange "HD" glyph just to the right of the gray 3590LMT. Also on the box top is an icon that says "3D Traffic - Digital". None of the other icons there say anything about HD, but the flap for opening the box has several logos, and one of them is that same orange HD logo, with the words "Digital Traffic" next to it.

So I thought this must really be a 3590LMTHD. But I've read that Garmin's HD Traffic feature tells the user things like "Stalled car in left lane," "Long-ter​m construction ahead," "Debris in roadway," etc., and provides weather information. I've never seen anything like any of that from this unit.

The back of the unit says 3590LM -- no T for traffic. But it definitely has some traffic. It alerts us to heavy traffic and directs around it.

The settings only have two controls about traffic that I see -- a checkbox for Traffic, and another checkbox for historical traffic data.

In Settings, the Device Info just lists it as a 3590 -- no LM, no T, no HD.

Do I have a 3590LMT that was sent to me in a 3590LMTHD box?? I bought it used from an individual, not from a store or from Garmin. I wonder if the seller started with the LMT, then upgraded to the LMTHD, then sold me the LMT but inadvertently sent it in the LMTHD box.

This is my first GPS with traffic, so I have no frame of reference on what other flavors of Garmin traffic are like in use aside from what I've read.

I'm concerned that if I upgrade to a used 2699LMT, the traffic updates will be slower than what I'm getting with this 3590. As it is, we often run into heavy traffic before the 3590 warns us about it. I'm wondering if I would need to spring for a 2699LMTHD to get the same level of traffic service we're getting now.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Boyd 1737 Points
    I think the answer will be with the traffic receiver and not the Nuvi. What does the sticker on the cigarette lighter plug say? If it says GTM 36, then it is the standard (non HD) traffic receiver.
  • Ramaprem 110 Points
    I would like to comment on only one aspect of your post. I, also, do not understand all the flavors of Garmin's traffic information service.

My unit is the 3597LMT: the plain-vanilla flavor.

Although I had never experienced it before, on a recent trip I was getting messages like the ones you mention: "Stalled car in left lane," "Long-ter​m construction ahead," "Debris in roadway,".
    I was quite surprised to get this level of information; as I said, I never had it before.
    I did not, however, receive weather information.
  • alanb 353 Points
    edited March 15
    @ramaprem ... in North America, Garmin only sold the 3597 as a LMTHD with the GTM-60 traffic receiver. Maybe they had a plain LMT version in Europe though. As Boyd said, the way to tell is to look at the Power plug and see what model it is.

And with the Smartphone Link traffic service now being free, if you subscribe to that, it will override the FM traffic services. That is what I have done with my 3597LMTHD.
  • Ramaprem 110 Points
    I live in Europe - so that answers one of your questions.
    My power-plug identifies the receiver as the GTM-36.

I don't use a smartphone as part of my navigating.
  • Boyd 1737 Points
    There you go, you have the standard traffic receiver. :)
  • GregL65 11 Points
    My receiver says GTM 60. So I guess that means I have HD traffic on my 3590?

So, why don't I ever see things like "Stalled car in left lane," "Long-ter​m construction ahead," "Debris in roadway," etc., and weather information?

While trying to look into this I saw something about needing to connect to a smartphone. So I downloaded the Garmin Smartlink for Android app, installed, connected to the Garmin with bluetooth, and allowed it to do everything it asked except read facebook and other social media messages. But that didn't seem to have any effect on the Garmin; as far as I can tell it just means I can see some stuff on the smartphone that comes from the Garmin. I can't say that I'm much interested in that.

Any thoughts?
  • Boyd 1737 Points
    The HD receiver will receive regular TMC FM traffic if it can't find an HD station, so maybe that explains it? I don't have one, so I don't know what to expect. Haven't used smartphone link since my iPhone isn't compatible with my devices.
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    GregL65 said:

My receiver says GTM 60. So I guess that means I have HD traffic on my 3590?

So, why don't I ever see things like "Stalled car in left lane," "Long-ter​m construction ahead," "Debris in roadway," etc., and weather information?

While trying to look into this I saw something about needing to connect to a smartphone. So I downloaded the Garmin Smartlink for Android app, installed, connected to the Garmin with bluetooth, and allowed it to do everything it asked except read facebook and other social media messages. But that didn't seem to have any effect on the Garmin; as far as I can tell it just means I can see some stuff on the smartphone that comes from the Garmin. I can't say that I'm much interested in that.

Any thoughts?

I dont know what the situation is Europe but in NA only a few select cities get traffic. I was hoping that with moving traffic to the garmin link app traffic would expand everywhere... I guess not... Its useless to me.

Google on the other hand does have traffic on my neck of the woods...
    Waze also has traffic but of course its user generated so its no surprise.

• GregL65 11 Points
    Zemartelo -- I live in Bellevue, WA, in the Seattle area. According to Garmin's coverage map, here:

http://coverage.here.com/hd-coverage.html

...Bellevue is well within the area of coverage. Our house is in a pocket of non-coverage just south if I-5, but most of the areas we drive are in coverage.

Is there a way of checking whether I'm getting updates every 30 seconds, as advertised for HD Digital Traffic, or just every 5 minutes, as advertised for plain Garmin Traffic?
  • GregL65 11 Points
    If I understand this page correctly, my 3590 is not able to display weather information, but if I upgrade to that 2699LMTHD, it will be able to do so:

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/HeKU6wqY1Z5Gru1pzZyUpA
  • mike41 5 Points
    I think traffic is an issue with many Garmin devices. I have 2 different model devices. I had a Smart Link traffic subscription. Both models formally worked well with traffic. I currently.do not have traffic on either device. I even tried a hard reset as suggested on one device, All the other features on the Smart Link work correctly on both devices. I have contacted Garmin. They were no help. The traffic problem started with the last update of the Smart Link app. Garmin made traffic a free subscription but now I do not have traffic. I now use Waze or look at current traffic on the Smart Link on my phone it just will not open the traffic window on my Garmin device. Any suggestions?
  • sussamb 634 Points
    I use the cable that came with my device and get very good traffic updates, but then I'm in the UK where traffic coverage is excellent. Also works well in the EU countries where I've used my nuvi, mainly France.
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    Now that Garmin uses cellphone to get traffic data from the web they need to partner with Google and get their traffic info.
    Much better coverage and accuracy.

We had a heavy snowfall today and google is showing yellow and redlines all over the place which is normal and Here traffic all is green for the feew roads it covers.