This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

First day out with Nuvi 57LM

I got the Nuvi 57LM (and friction mount) yesterday, downloaded the maps etc, then took a drive with it today. Here are some newbie observations.

- With a destination set, it works very well. It announces exits and turns ahead of time in very understandable speech and (usually) displays the distance to go to that place. All in all, a very good performance.

- I had a difficult time entering my first destination. (1) it didn't recognize the street name using "Road", but insisted on "Rd", and (2) it kept doubling up my street address, don't really know why; somehow I found a way to get the address entered.

- A few times it didn't display the miles to the next turn/exit, but did announce them correctly. Don't know why.

- Nearing home, I diverted from the route it had picked (which was the best route) to run an errand in another part of town. As soon as I was half way down the "wrong" exit ramp, it immediately started directing me from that new place, which was really good. Later on that diversion, I turned onto a street in the opposite direction from the new route. It then gave me with new turn instructions as I passed one street after another, and finally seemed to give up and said "As soon as possible, make a u-turn". I thought that was great.

- I found the display of symbols for restaurants and gas stations annoying. In settings, the only way I could get it to not display those was to uncheck the box for Map Layers > Up Ahead Places. I haven't used the GPS since then to see if that worked.

- First I used it as a map only, with no destination. I found it interesting for a while, but it missed displaying some exits as they approached, including important ones. Eventually I decided that there was really no good reason to use it that way. Do others agree or not?

- The friction mount (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OL2MU4) worked great. See photo.

Comments

• Boyd 1794 Points
    mwrmwr said:

First I used it as a map only, with no destination. I found it interesting for a while, but it missed displaying some exits as they approached, including important ones. Eventually I decided that there was really no good reason to use it that way. Do others agree or not?

I like using a GPS as a "moving map" most of the time, with no destination entered. Unfortunately, Garmin seems to show less details like exits and street names with each new model though. Have not used these new ones so I don't know how they compare.

However, it looks like you are using the default 3d view. That is not very good if you just want to look at the map. Try setting it for either North Up or Track Up, and also set the map detail to the maximum and see if that helps.
  • mwrmwr 0 Points
    Boyd said:

However, it looks like you are using the default 3d view. That is not very good if you just want to look at the map. Try setting it for either North Up or Track Up, and also set the map detail to the maximum and see if that helps.

It was Track Up, and I now have it set for max detail (although no trips with that yet) instead of normal detail. Would not using 3D help anything?
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    The picture you posted shows 3d view so that was the basis of my comment. Since things get smaller in the distance in 3d, you will not see as much detail. But really, it's all a question of personal choice. :)
  • mwrmwr 0 Points
    Got it, thanks!
  • Ramaprem 110 Points
    Under certain circumstances, I also enjoy using the device with no destination entered; that is, as a "moving map".

Mostly, I do this when simply tripping around – obviously. I find the device being used as a moving map really useful.
  • menhir 50 Points
    On my wife's 42LM, I've noticed that the device commonly chooses not to show some crossroads and exit ramps. I'm not talking about new construction or remote gravel roads either. It's the newest device in the family and it's always kept up to date.
    This is true whether or not it's actively routing or just displaying the map.

Weird.

Still, it works well otherwise.