This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

loss of drivers on garmin express

Following last weeks win10 update in uk I have lost my driver for garmin express I can connect my garmin2599navi to the computer but it will not connect for updates etc . I have uninstalled express rebooted and reinstalled the device manager says unknown device click properties says 1.drivers not installed code 28 ---- 2 service installation in this INF invalid
3 click update drivers when this is done it comes up with error in installing
Now I have reinstalled and connect to express it is not able to find my garmin, I sent emails to garmin support and told them that the win10 has stopped the express working since last update it was working fine before either they did not read the mail properly because their reply did not even reflect my problem. can one help?

Comments

• sussamb 657 Points
    Win10 is known to have issues with some Garmin devices in mtp mode. The normal fix is to set your device to mass storage mode. To do so:

1. Start NUVI by itself and go to Volume Screen.
    2. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
    3. The Developers Screen will pop up
    (may see Configuration and Settings, if so select it)
    4. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
    5. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
    6. Shut down NUVI and connect to PC
    7. It should now connect in mass storage mode.
  • Chris_Sav 58 Points
    Does the PC say what the error is in installing the drivers?

Have you tried installing the drivers as an administrator if its an access problem?
  • Boyd 1781 Points
    I don't think any "drivers" are required for a Nuvi. depending on the settings, it behaves as either a USB disk or MTP device, and both of these should be natively supported on Windows.
  • privet01 145 Points
    Boyd said:

I don't think any "drivers" are required for a Nuvi. depending on the settings, it behaves as either a USB disk or MTP device, and both of these should be natively supported on Windows.

I agree. Garmin's devices have long since not required any special drivers. It's likely a win10 issue due to a bad update. If you can't see the device in your computer's file explore, then it is likely a win10 issue. If you can see the device in your files explorer but GE doesn't, that would be an indication that GE is more likely at fault.

If you find the right support person at Garmin, they might get you a solution. But lately many of them seem to just be going by the "book" and following "policy", instead of giving the over the top great help they used to give in the past.

I use win10, and I don't have any issue with any of my seven garmin devices connecting to my PC or macbook. So likely something burped during the update. But I have had some issues with my phone not being recognized when I plug it in since the big win update a few days ago. Sometimes I have to unplug and reconnect multiple times. Have not investigated it yet.

• sussamb 657 Points
    privet01 said:

If you can see the device in your files explorer but GE doesn't, that would be an indication that GE is more likely at fault.

Not necessarily, there are many reasons that cause GE not to see a device, among two are cable and USB issues.

However in this case mass storage mode as I posted above is the swift fix (normally).

• Boyd 1781 Points
  • privet01 145 Points
    sussamb said:

privet01 said:

If you can see the device in your files explorer but GE doesn't, that would be an indication that GE is more likely at fault.

Not necessarily, there are many reasons that cause GE not to see a device, among two are cable and USB issues.

However in this case mass storage mode as I posted above is the swift fix (normally).

exactly why I used the non-committal wording with "indication" and "likely". I didn't want to write several pages of all the possibilities. <<grin>>

• privet01 145 Points
    It doesn't look as if I was caught by that. My update didn't happen until the 15th. So according to them it was pulled already. Although for about three or four days after that update I was having problems with my phone not being recognized when I plugged it in. Seems to be working now. Go figure....

I thought maybe this should be flagged as inappropriate content for the forum, then I figured since my phone has a gps in it, maybe not................... <<grin>>

Thanks for finding that.
  • sussamb 657 Points
    Well it applies to portable mtp devices, which is what most modern nuvi/drive models are :)