This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

3760 won't show maps on device

I have a 3760 and a Montana 600. At some point mapinstall or garmin express confused the two and to make a long story short, no matter what I do, the 3760 won't load a map for use. It does have the latest update, and basecamp, garmin express, mapinstall all think everything's okay. I've dug into the files on the device and I think it's missing the original map .img file, and/or likely other support files that tell the 3670 that the maps are there for use. All are unlocked properly via garmin's process, the device is valid and set up properly on the garmin website, so there's no issue from a "legal" or process perspective. I have gone into the map setup on the device - there's nothing there to check or uncheck.

I've hunted the forum for any other info on this, without luck. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. :)

TIA

Peter

Comments

• sussamb 664 Points
    edited March 28
    If nothing is showing in MapInfo on the device then no map is loaded, however you should at least see the base map, do you?

If Express recognises your device as you imply then it should also give you the option to add a map, unless your device didn't come with life time maps? If it didn't and you don't have back ups then your only hope is to contact Garmin and explain to them.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    ps2GPS said:

I've dug into the files on the device and I think it's missing the original map .img file, and/or likely other support files that tell the 3670 that the maps are there for use.

What files do you see in the hidden .system folder on the 3760? You should have the following map files

gmapbmap.img
    gmapprom.img
    gmaptz.img

I don't recall… did the 3760 have 3d terrain and buildings? I know the 3790 did. If so, you should also have

gmapdem.img
    gmap3d.img

There should also be one or more files with a .gma externsion that are used for copy protection.

You will need to know how to view the hidden .system folder to determine all of this however. If you don't know how, see these

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/165763/#Comment_165763
    http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/167283/#Comment_167283
  • ps2GPS 0 Points
    sussamb said:

If nothing is showing in MapInfo on the device then no map is loaded, however you should at least see the base map, do you?

No base map, no maps at all.
    sussamb said:

If Express recognises your device as you imply then it should also give you the option to add a map, unless your device didn't come with life time maps? If it didn't and you don't have back ups then your only hope is to contact Garmin and explain to them.

It's an "LMT" device, lifetime maps and traffic. I was getting updates and able to use the device for a couple of years, up until the Montana came along. :)
    Boyd said:

What files do you see in the hidden .system folder on the 3760? You should have the following map files

gmapbmap.img
    gmapprom.img
    gmaptz.img

I don't recall… did the 3760 have 3d terrain and buildings? I know the 3790 did. If so, you should also have

gmapdem.img
    gmap3d.img

There should also be one or more files with a .gma externsion that are used for copy protection.

I only have the following .img files:
    gmaptz - updated yesterday from GE
    gmapupdate - latest base map update, added yesterday from GE.

I don't recall seeing anything in 3d when it worked but regardless the gmapdem was there - it showed as a demo map on the device. I moved that physically to my SD card to provide some space onboard for map updates, it doesn't show up in maps on the device. There was no gmap3d.img file that I could find.

I have a couple of .gma files:
    654245358 - from 2010, I assume the original
    gmapupdate - same timestamp as the .img file of the same name, I assume this is for the update.

So without the original img file, is there anything I can do to recover it, or create it from an update file?

Thanks,

Peter
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    Unfortunately, this is why you should have done a full backup of your gps - it would be very simple to fix if you had one. I just don't know if Garmin Express will replace the map file if you have deleted it, in the past I thought it would not.

If Express won't fix it, I think the only option is calling (not e-mailing) Garmin support even though it is obviously way out of warranty. Sometimes they will help, and they have the ability to remotely copy files to Nuvi if needed.

It appears that the 3760 did not have 3d terrain or buildings, they are not mentioned here: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/87931

But they are mentioned for the 3790: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/87930

So it is odd that you have gmapdem.img on your Nuvi, I don't think it should be there. It would not be displayed on models that don't have the 3d terrain feature even if the file was there.

Now there was a problem with the 37xx series where it could "lose its identity" and stop working properly. IIRC, when this happened it would be identified as a "Nuvi 37xx" in the "about" screen as opposed to stating the actual model number such as "Nuvi 3760". This had something to do with corrupted protected memory on the device. There was no way for a user to fix this and Garmin was exchanging units with the problem.

This goes back many years now though, I got my Nuvi 3790 in 2010 and thought it was very cool at the time. But it really had a lot of issues that were corrected in 3590 a couple years later.
  • ps2GPS 0 Points
    Boyd said:

Unfortunately, this is why you should have done a full backup of your gps - it would be very simple to fix if you had one. I just don't know if Garmin Express will replace the map file if you have deleted it, in the past I thought it would not.

There was a backup, but that machine is gone. I gave it to my son for university - I'm going to see if there is any of my original data on it when I see him next. Alternatively, I'll call Garmin & hope for the best.
    Boyd said:

It appears that the 3760 did not have 3d terrain or buildings, they are not mentioned here: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/87931
    But they are mentioned for the 3790: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/87930
    So it is odd that you have gmapdem.img on your Nuvi, I don't think it should be there. It would not be displayed on models that don't have the 3d terrain feature even if the file was there.

...and my Montana does have 3D - which is also screwed up a bit. GE seemed to have confused the two & looks like it updated maps on the wrong devices. I'm going to plug in the Montana, which has been collecting dust for a year or so, and see if any of my nuvi maps are on it.