This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Help with persistent routing errors, Tyre.

It's springtime and I'm back to playing with my Nuvi 550.

In order to get more practice programming routes (and this has been one of my problems...I haven't done this often enough), I decided to start with simple everyday drives, to work, to some shopping area, etc., to see if what I'm entering works out correctly.

It's been a bit frustrating.
Yesterday I programmed my daily commute and, even through everything looked good on Tyre, the device still directed me off my intended route. Today, I went back and added a few viapoints and checked the results on my device. (I should have done that yesterday too, but I got the route loaded just before I had to leave...I know my bad. :-) )

Now it wants my to drive several miles past my exit at one point and double back. I check the route in Tyre (shows correctly) MapSource (shows the same as my device) and BaseCamp (which displayed an incomprehensible mishmash of every route I have all at once which I can't figure out how to narrow down.)

There are no viapoints that would cause the device to direct me down to the next exit and double back. It acts like I have a point placed on the wrong side of the road, but for the life of me, zooming in as far as I can, I can't find where I did that.

Is there something I'm missing?

Comments

• alanb 374 Points
    Sometimes the routing algorithm incorrectly assumes you cannot exit left when you are on a multi lane or divided road, so it takes you to the next intersection for a U turn. Not a lot you can do about it except ignore it and turn into your destination when you reach it.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    BaseCamp shows all data in the selected folder or list. If you just want to see one route create an empty list and send/copy the route to that list.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    Tyre uses Google Maps data (or at least it did when I used it in the past). Garmin map data comes from HERE (formerly Navteq). One would expect issues when creating routes based on different proprietary map databases. ;)
  • menhir 50 Points
    I think I may have found the issue.

Me. Usually, I'm the same source of all my issues. :-L

I'll know tonight. If I'm right, it was my fault. There were two exits ramps in the area close by which from a map view, looked identical. From previous advice, I knew that zooming in to make sure that the point were properly placed is the usual solution, which is the procedure I followed when things turned sideways.

If I had zoomed out instead of zooming in, I might have caught it.

I'll know soon enough...I'm going to try again, and I'm off to work in a few hours to see what happens.
    sussamb said:

BaseCamp shows all data in the selected folder or list. If you just want to see one route create an empty list and send/copy the route to that list.

How does one create an empty list? I assume there was a way to clear out the routes I didn't want to see, but I couldn't figure out from the menu how to do that.

As always, any help is appreciated.
    (I know I'm using an older device, and because of my busy schedule I haven't had a lot of time to learn the intricacies of Basecamp, but I copy all the info I find here and from time to time, abd try to apply it to learning the program. It's no secret that I currently dislike Basecamp, but it's also shouldn't be a secret that I hate to give up on anything. )
  • t923347 406 Points
    I use Tyre on a pretty regular basis and find that it rarely, if ever, has routing issues when the gpx file is transferred to my Nuvi.

That being said I find that it is really important to zoom in when placing waypoints to insure your on the proper side of a divided highway, or use the proper exit in multi exit areas, that you don't place the waypoint just off the road you want to use (which is really easy to do zoomed out to far), etc. The good news is that the zoom feature in Tyre is easy to use by just using the scroll wheel on your mouse.

I also find it helpful to take the time to simulate your completed route using that feature in Tyre. During the simulation pay particular attention to your zoom level so youcan plainly see each maneuver and also make sure to always refer to the turn boxes that appear on the screen giving details of the maneuvers being made. With Tyre's great simulation speed setting, simulating a 500 mile route takes only minutes and often will highlite a mistake you've made in constructing your route before you transfer it to your GPS.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    menhir said:

sussamb said:

How does one create an empty list? I assume there was a way to clear out the routes I didn't want to see, but I couldn't figure out from the menu how to do that.
    Right click a folder and choose New list or New list folder.
  • menhir 50 Points
    I'm at work now and the good news is that the routing corrections worked flawlessly this time. My commute involves roads that the GPS would not normally select, so I thought it would be a good place to start.
    I have the next few days off and I'm going to be able to devote some time to getting better at this.
    Believe me, I try to figure these things out myself before I post with the wailing and gnashing of teeth, but this time I couldn't see the forest for the trees, or something like that. :-)

I'm sure I'll be back with another question.

Thanks, all.