This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Backing into the Future - Combinations of Routes and Tracks

I've found that I can make learning BaseCamp a little more user-friendly to me if I back into it by planning routes first in Tyre and/or MapSource, then opening them last in BaseCamp and playing with them there. I have to do this anyway to check any routes I create in Tyre. As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm testing my skills by constructing routes for trips I've already taken, so I can spot an error when I double-check.

My question: Will my device follow a route that ends in a sections that's displayed as a track?

One of my destinations is a campground that is accessed by a longish gravel road.
Tyre first: No problem, but I know I have to check it against a Garmin programs to make sure it works in my Nuvi. So I open it in...
MapSource: The route line ends at the gravel road, and then a track line proceeds to the campsite. But it also creates a route line up a nearby road that cuts over to my destination and I know there is no road there.
BaseCamp: The same result.

The horizontal line at the top is not a road.

I don't have any avoidances checked that would eliminate gravel or seasonal roads.

Pragmatically, the solution is easy: Just place the destination point where the gravel road turns off. There's a sign there anyway. No problemo.

Would the device try to follow the route to and through the road that doesn't exist, or would it proceed along the track line? I'm curious in case I come up with a similar result to a remote area I'm not familiar with. Following the purple route line would leave me stranded.

And related: In MapSource, how do you move a way/destination point? The help menu says to select the arrow, click on the point I want to move, and select "move" from the drop down menu, but that option does not appear. Only "remove"
I could ask the same question of BaseCamp.

Comments

• sussamb 657 Points
    edited March 31
    Neither MapSource or BaseCamp will use a route/track combo without some other interaction. In BaseCamp you can do it but it's pointless if transferring a route that is going to be used in a nuvi or similar as it will be ignored.

To move a point in BaseCamp select the move tool then click on the point you want to move and drag it to where you want it. Sorry, it's been so long since I used MapSource I can't recall how it works to move a point.

The reason the route is as shown is that that point is the nearest on road point to the destination.

Must say I do find it strange that folks find BaseCamp difficult, I use it daily to plan routes either for my various nuvis or my handhelds. I have around 10 maps or so installed, switch between them and Google Earth, which is directly accessible through BC, and create/edit routes without issue.
  • menhir 50 Points
    edited March 31
    sussamb said:

Neither MapSource or BaseCamp will use a route/track combo without some other interaction. In BaseCamp you can do it but it's pointless if transferring a route that is going to be used in a nuvi or similar as it will be ignored.

Got it!
    To move a point in BaseCamp select the move tool then click on the point you want to move and drag it to where you want it. Sorry, it's been so long since I used MapSource I can't recall how it works to move a point.
    Nothing to be sorry about. :-)

OK, I was able to move the destination waypoint in BaseCamp now, thanks.

I think there's a problem with the current latest version of MapSource (6.16.3) where the help section may be outdated. It states: Moving Waypoints
    You can move an existing waypoint to a new location on the Graphic Map.
    To move a waypoint: Click the Selection tool.
    Right-click the waypoint on the Graphic Map. Then select Move Waypoint. (This option does not appear...And I've been trying to make it appear since last night. :-) )
    Oh well.
    The reason the route is as shown is that that point is the nearest on road point to the destination.
    I figured as much. I was just wondering how the device would deal with it in practice. Now I know.
    I Must say I do find it strange that folks find BaseCamp difficult, I use it daily to plan routes either for my various nuvis or my handhelds. I have around 10 maps or so installed, switch between them and Google Earth, which is directly accessible through BC, and create/edit routes without issue.
    It's (always been) obvious to me that I can do more in BaseCamp. That's why I keep pulling it out of the waste bin and dusting it off. However, and I think this is the root of people's frustration, They don't use it daily.
    I was getting the hang of it a few years ago but after leaving it for the winter, I found I had a lot to re-learn when I came back in the Spring. It's just easier to fall back on the more intuitive programs to get the job done.

I'm chalking it to a lack of conveyance in the the UI.
    For small f'rinstance: On almost any Windows (and Linux...I run both) program I use, if I want to open a file, I go the the top left and click "file," and select "open." On BaseCamp, it's 'file" and "Import into new list."
    OK, I figured it out, but it's jarring and slows down the learning process...and that's just the beginning.
    There's a lack of continuity: BaseCamp doesn't even follow the user protocols of it's own predecessor.
    And context: It's much harder to learn the old fashioned way, by playing with it, than anything other program I've used. I've had to pester people with more questions and do more web searches to operate BaseCamp than I did converting my business computers to Linux. There's not a lot of info in the program itself to help a new user out.

I teach martial arts, and I also teach practitioners how to become martial arts teachers. One of the things I tell prospective instructors is, if I ever catch them telling a student who's having difficulty learning or executing a technique "It's easy," they will catch hell from me. I remind them that the reason the technique is easy for them is because they've been doing often for years, and they shouldn't forget that. (And anyway, I'll also remind them of the troubles they had when they themselves were just "grasshoppers." :-D
    I also remind them that if a whole group of students is not "getting it" then the instructor should take a serious account of how they may be "teaching it."

-I'm emphatically not referring to the people who help me on the forum. You've been patient, kind, and informative. That's why I like it here. I'm speaking of the designers. Just so y'all know.-

I'm not BaseCamp bashing. There's enough of that already (I've done it myself) and it's not productive. Still, It can't be denied that there's a very high level of frustration with the program as it exists and the creators would do well to try to address it.

Anyway, I've been in a very good mood lately, so now's the time for me to grind away at this. :-D

And as always, thanks for the help.

• sussamb 657 Points
    edited March 31
    Unfortunately I don't think there are any more developers left, the last one left about this time last year and I've seen no indication of any development on going :(
  • Boyd 1781 Points
    That is not a good sign for the future of Garmin's devices. #:-S
  • menhir 50 Points
    edited March 31
    sussamb said:

Unfortunately I don't think there are any more developers left, the last one left about this time last year and I've seen no indication of any development on going :(

I didn't know that.
    We'll, I guess I'll have to muddle through without them, then.
    After all, there's no manual for what I do for a living either, but there were good teachers. :-)
    Boyd said:

That is not a good sign for the future of Garmin's devices. #:-S

No, not a good sign. :-<