This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Nuvi still directing my on and off exit ramps

I posted about this a year ago in another conversation, but I wrote it off as a rare "one of those" things. Until today...

Last year on a weekend trip, my Nuvi550 directed me to take an exit ramp off the highway, go over the crossroad, and then right back onto the highway. This happened twice along the way. I assumed that maybe the device calculated that talking the ramp was the shorter/faster way around a bulge in the highway. I remember it happening on a couple more occasions too, but I forgot about it over the winter.

Today, it did it again. I was directed to take an exit ramp, and then get right back on. I didn't take the bait. This time though, I was on a perfectly straight local road that I drive very often, and this is the first time, even though I've had the device for years, that it exhibited this behavior.

Before last year, it never happened.

Is it just me?

I can deal with it, but it gets a little embarrassing and annoying if others are following me. :\"> Which has happened.

Comments

• Boyd 1781 Points
    menhir said:

Is it just me?

16 pages of discussion of this topic and its variants here: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/13967/x/p1/
  • menhir 50 Points
    Thanks! I guess I better get started. :-)
  • menhir 50 Points
    edited April 3
    My poor red eyes. ~:>

Well, that was interesting. My issue was simpler than the majority of the thread, which mostly dealt with devices taking people off highway onto more roundabout roads to their destination.

There were two posts with a similar issue to mine, and one response:

The "get off the highway only to get right back on" behavior are caused by errors in the highway data; the nuvis see a short borked section with a major speed drop and figure that breezing down the offramp, blowing through the invisible stop sign / traffic light and then going up the onramp is faster than slowing down to a crawl on the highway at the borked bit and then re-accelerating. Veering through a rest stop - same problem.

I have a capture from MapSource below. The magenta line is the route that took me off the bridge. The red line is the sane way.

If I would have zoomed in closer, I might have noticed that. I closely checked the route (I was following a practice route I planned with MapSource) on my device and it shows the same variation. I checked everything else before I set off, but forgivably, I never thought I would be routed off and back onto the bridge, especially considering that it's never done this before on this particular bridge. No more than I would closely check every mile of a 400 route along a stretch of I90. I guess I better start doing that.

No erroneous waypoints or avoidances either. And it only started happening last year.

So, I guess it is the data on the last few updates since that's the only variable I can't eliminate.

Well, at least it's not just me. :-)
  • Kevin_hutch 47 Points
    menhir said:

I posted about this a year ago in another conversation, but I wrote it off as a rare "one of those" things. Until today...

Last year on a weekend trip, my Nuvi550 directed me to take an exit ramp off the highway, go over the crossroad, and then right back onto the highway. This happened twice along the way. I assumed that maybe the device calculated that talking the ramp was the shorter/faster way around a bulge in the highway. I remember it happening on a couple more occasions too, but I forgot about it over the winter.

Today, it did it again. I was directed to take an exit ramp, and then get right back on. I didn't take the bait. This time though, I was on a perfectly straight local road that I drive very often, and this is the first time, even though I've had the device for years, that it exhibited this behavior.

Before last year, it never happened.

Is it just me?

I can deal with it, but it gets a little embarrassing and annoying if others are following me. :\"> Which has happened.

This has happened to me often even cost me an extra toll on one toll road when I wasn't sure where to get of the toll road.
    I can only suggest that you set the fastest route as the only way I have found to overcome it.
  • menhir 50 Points
    Yup. It's already been set for fastest route.
    Just a glitch in the works, it seems.
  • Boyd 1781 Points
    Just another reminder that a GPS is just a tool that needs to be used intelligently instead of blindly followed. A couple years ago I was caught by something like this where my Nuvi 3550 sent me off the highway and through local streets Newark NJ. It was a weekend and a bicycle race was in progress - took me forever to get back on the highway.

I was really kicking myself for not questioning why it directed me off the highway in the first place. But it was a good reminder of the old saying "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me". ;)
  • menhir 50 Points
    Well, I haven't taken the bait after the first two times since this started happening just about a year ago, so I'll have to own up to being fooled twice.

And the year ain't over yet. :D