This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Is a Garmin Zumo 390LM good to go?

I'm considering the purchase of a reconditioned Zumo 390LM.

I'm still looking at the specs but I'd like some opinions from the masters here...

Does it have sufficient storage to handle the size of the current North American Maps (US/Canada) now and for the foreseeable future...That is, without having to rely on an additional SD card as have to do with my current old GPS?

I'm still wrestling with Basecamp but until it taps out, would this device have any incompatibility with MapSource, or even Tyre?

I don't care for, need, or intend to use any bells or whistles like bluetooth, media players, tire sensors, etc. which is why I'm looking at a reconditioned device: Even if some of that stuff is included, I don't feel like I'm paying for it. :-)

In short...Would it be a good buy for me?

Comments

• t923347 404 Points
    To the best of my knowledge no North American Nuvi or Zumo has had more than 8GB of internal memory. Most of the older Zumo's had less than that but I don't know about these newer models like the 390. In other words if you have an 8GB Nuvi now, you will probably have the same amount of storage in the Zumo, or less.

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work with Tyre as that was developed for motorcycle users and the Zumo is a motorcycle GPS. It should work with Basecamp but could have issues with Mapsource, which hasn't been supported by Garmin for years now.

IMHO, with it's small screen and extra size/weight over many current Nuvi models, it wouldn't be my choice unless I planned to use it on my bike.
  • Boyd 1744 Points
    Garmin doesn't publish internal memory specs and I have no personal experience with that model so I can't be sure. However Garmin has always been stingy with internal memory and that is an older model. So I doubt it would hold maps "for the foreseeable future" - the map just keeps getting bigger. But really, why do you care if a card is needed? They are cheap.

You can still use Mapsource with any Garmin device, although some features don't work properly with newer handhelds because Garmin changed the storage method for waypoints/routes/tracks. Garmin still uses the old system on the Nuvi series so they are more compatible with Mapsource. Having never used a Zumo, I don't know what issues you might have exchanging data. But the route planning functions should still work properly. There are some known issues with Mapsource and newer versions of City Navigator that I've read about.

The newer automotive devices are not treated like mass storage devices on Windows computer anymore, they behave like media players (a phone or iPod for example). This prevents Mapsource from accessing data on the device. There is an easy fix for this however using a hidden menu on the Nuvi that allows you to manually enable mass storage mode. I assume the Zumo also has this function, but not 100% sure.
  • menhir 50 Points
    Not worried about the price of an SD card, just curious.
  • Boyd 1744 Points
    t923347 said:

it wouldn't be my choice unless I planned to use it on my bike.

Why else would anyone buy a Zumo? ;)
  • t923347 404 Points
    I have no idea but I know there are people that do. @-)
  • menhir 50 Points
    edited April 9
    Yup. It would be exclusively for motorcycle travel. (I probably should have mentioned that :\"> )
    If I decide to buy, my good ol' Nuvi 550 would go in my car, which would replace my good ol(der) Magellan which really needs a nice retirement.