This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

How do I import ov2 files into my Nuvi?

Because TomTom bizarrely decided to cease supporting custom POI's, I bought a GArmin Nuvi 58LMT. I've read a couple of pages which claim to explain how to convert and import ov2 files into the Garmin however I don't seem to be able to recreate the steps.
It says my ov2 file isn't valid, and apparently you have only one folder for custom POI's to go into but it doesn't ell you which one.
I'm tired now of fighting software and instructions that either aren't clear or are incorrect so can someone point me to an accurate and up to date source where I can learn how to import ov2 files into the Garmin, converting them first if need be?
Much appreciated in advance.

Comments

• t923347 406 Points
    There maybe different ways to convert your OV2 files to either GPX or CSV format that your Nuvi will accept. The one very easy way is to use Turbocc's free program called Extra POI Editor which can be found at:

https://turboccc.wikispaces.com/Extra_POI_Editor

Once you have the OV2 file(s) converted they can be stored on the Nuvi in a folder called POI by using Garmin's free POI loading software called POI Loader. This software is fully explained at:

http://www.garmin.com/us/maps/poiloader

and can be downloaded from:

http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-12
  • Hi, that worked, so now I have 323 custom POI's on the device, thanks for your hep with that. However they are all in one folder, instead of being in a set of 6 categories.
    Now I need to split those 6 categories so I can search on each one separately instead of the overall category of custom POI's?
    How can I do that?
  • Also in the manual it says I can edit saved locations. I click where to>saved
    However when I click where to on my Nuvi 58LMT there is no 'saved' to click on? It's not in the menu either.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    I think there is some confusion regarding POI's and Favorites (aka Saved Locations). The two are completely different things on the Nuvi. If you want to create Saved Locations from your .ov2 file, you will need to convert it to a .gpx file. Not sure of the best way to do that, perhaps a program called GPSBabel will do it.

After creating the .gpx file, drag it to the GPX folder on the Nuvi. When the device starts up again, Saved Locations should have been created from your data. They can then be edited and categorized using the menus on the Nuvi.
  • t923347 406 Points
    Extra poi editor will convert the ov2 files to gpx. Although gpsbabel may well work, I think the OP already has EPE.
  • Yeah I converted them to gpx file, and use POI loader to put them onto the device, but I can't find anywhere in the menu to add to that category, or edit the POI's within it?
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    Please read my post again. You created "POI" but (apparently) what you actually want is "Saved Locations". They are completely different. You can edit Saved Locations on the device, choose the symbols you want, delete them and create new ones. You can't do any of those things with POI.

Put the .gpx file in the GPX folder on your Nuvi and restart it. Then do Where To > Saved Locations (or Favorites, depending on your device). You should now see all your data and you will be able to edit it on the Nuvi.
  • t923347 406 Points
    On a Garmin device you can't add to or edit any POI in the POI folder. You can edit a Favorite/Saved Places directly on the GPS however.

In order to add or edit a POI you will need to do it in the original POI file on your computer. Once you have added the point or edited one, you would need to run POI loader again to replace ALL of the POIs on your GPS with a completely new .gpi file that includes your changes as well as all the POIs that didn't change.

What I do with my Custom POIs is to place the individual POI files on my computer in different folders such as:
    Fuel Stations
    Restaurants
    Hotels

At this point I have 2 choices, I can run POILoader on the whole folder which contains all the individual folders created above or I can run POILoader on each individual folder.

If I run it on all the individual folders at once I end up with a single .gpi file in the POI folder on the Nuvi but when I look up a POI on the device I find they are stored in the categories I originally created on the computer - Fuel Stations, Restaurants, Hotels, etc. . If I use this approach I rename the .gpi file created on the Nuvi to something "Full POI Listing as of April 11 17.gpi"

Alternatively I can run POILoader against each individual folder created on my computer. Run it once for the folder Fuel Stations, once for Restaurants, etc. In this case I end up with multiple .gpi files on the Nuvi and it is important that after EACH POILoader run you immediately rename the .gpi file created because if you don't the next run will create a file that will overwrite the first one. So if you run POILoader just on the Fuel Station folder, immediately rename it on the Nuvi to Fuel Stations.gpi before you run POILoader against the Restaurant folder, etc.

If you are making additions and changes to your individual POI files it maybe easier to use the second method of storing items on the GPS. This way if you are making a lot of alterations say to the Hotel listing you just need to run POI loader against that folder and not against all of the POI folders stored on you computer.

Either method will work so it's your choice
  • I need to add locations as I go to them without messing on with a computer so the option for me is Favourite/Saved places. However, I can add a gpx file which appears under custom POI's, but I can't edit them and nor can I add to them. There simply is no command at all even under the 'hamburger' to add, edit, delete or anything else.
    They're also saved in favourites, however they're not categorised in their folders. There's just a long list of POI's in the favourite menu and there is no way to edit, add or delete them too.
    Becoming a little frustrating this now.
    This is a model nuvi58 with software version 4.40 and it definitely says in the manual that I can do it but the "where to>saved" and other commands simply are not there.
  • t923347 406 Points

They're also saved in favourites, however they're not categorised in their folders. There's just a long list of POI's in the favourite menu and there is no way to edit, add or delete them too.

You should be able to edit, add, and delete Favorites with ease including assigning them to categories. Here is one place to start:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/nuvi57-58-67-68/EN-US/GUID-3D090AF9-1B1E-40FD-9E8B-C6D4C8D78B81.html

• t923347 406 Points
    Just an FYI, you need at least 12 Favorites/Saved Places in order to place them in categories.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    Again, not sure if you understand…. POI and Saved Places are completely separate things. If you don't want to use the POI, you can delete them and it will not affect the Saved Places. As per the FAQ that @t923347 posted, do Where To > Saved and you should see the full list. Tap any item and then tap the ( i ) button at the bottom. Now tap the "3 bar" menu in the upper left and you will have the option to edit or delete that location.
  • I do understand that POI's and saved places are different. So I am concentrating on saved places. However I've got over 2000 POI's, to add them to the device one by one assigning categories as I go would be foolish, I assumed that as each folder I have is now in gpx format, and added to the gpx folder, they would appear in favourites in their respective folders. But all I have is one long list of locations...
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    edited April 14
    Well you are going to have one basic problem, your Nuvi can only accept a total of 1000 saved locations, which I think is the same on all of Garmin's automotive devices. To further confuse things, in their computer software and on their handheld devices Garmin calls them "waypoints". See the specs for your device here: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/501425#specs

I have never used categories for my waypoints, but I think it will probably be easier to use Basecamp to edit/categorize the waypoints and then send them to your Nuvi. But there is no getting around the limit of 1000.

OTOH, I don't think there is a limit to how many POI you can load. But then you will lose the ability to edit them on the device.
  • I see. I think I'll take it back for a refund then. Thanks very much for your help.
  • Kevin_hutch 47 Points
    There are categories in favourites and categories in custom POIs they are independent as I think has been well explained.

I use Custom POIs extensively, with some 15 categories in 3 .gpi files in the normal POI directory and 4 in one .gpi file saved as categories in a POI subdirectory directory under the Garmin directory.

I have converted them to .csv files on my PC.
    I edit/sorted them into the categories I want, saving them in separate .csv files giving them the file name of the category I want them in.

These files become my master Category files on my PC.
    I use the POI loader to group them into one .gpi "Category group" file with the date in a file name (contains multiple categories),

Copy this to the POI directory on the GPS. (You can have combined categories in one .gpi or separate .gpi per Category what ever you feel comfortable with, beware if you use multiple .gpi files they must be different names or they will be overwritten).

When I have additions/changes I place them in my GPS favourites, establish a (favourites) category of "updates". I can then use this as a manual update reference file or copy the "current.gpx" file to my computer so I get access to the lat/long, convert to .csv and edit/add them to the master category .csv file.
    I have a separate GPS directory for map errors that I use to update the "Here mapcreator" database when I find mapping errors.

Then convert the Category.csv to an updated Master date.gpi file and copy to the GPS.

Works for me, supporting six GPSs in separate vehicles with different users.
  • There are categories in favourites and categories in custom POIs they are independent as I think has been well explained.

I use Custom POIs extensively, with some 15 categories in 3 .gpi files in the normal POI directory and 4 in one .gpi file saved as categories in a POI subdirectory directory under the Garmin directory.

I have converted them to .csv files on my PC.
    I edit/sorted them into the categories I want, saving them in separate .csv files giving them the file name of the category I want them in.

These files become my master Category files on my PC.
    I use the POI loader to group them into one .gpi "Category group" file with the date in a file name (contains multiple categories),

Copy this to the POI directory on the GPS. (You can have combined categories in one .gpi or separate .gpi per Category what ever you feel comfortable with, beware if you use multiple .gpi files they must be different names or they will be overwritten).

When I have additions/changes I place them in my GPS favourites, establish a (favourites) category of "updates". I can then use this as a manual update reference file or copy the "current.gpx" file to my computer so I get access to the lat/long, convert to .csv and edit/add them to the master category .csv file.
    I have a separate GPS directory for map errors that I use to update the "Here mapcreator" database when I find mapping errors.

Then convert the Category.csv to an updated Master date.gpi file and copy to the GPS.

Works for me, supporting six GPSs in separate vehicles with different users.

"I use Custom POIs extensively, with some 15 categories in 3 .gpi files in the normal POI directory and 4 in one .gpi file saved as categories in a POI subdirectory directory under the Garmin directory.
    "
    I've read this 3 times and I still don't understand it :(

But really,.read your message back and see the steps you have to go through to update favourites. Now compare it with what you used to do:
    Add>POI>My location: Then choose a category to add it to, and press done. Simple.
    I can't believe people are accepting of the process you describe here which is convoluted and time consuming and just plain stupid. Do you really stop at every destination you go to and put the computer on to record that place and go through all the silly steps to save it as a POI?

I am not using POI's for that reason, it's beyond barmy. I tried favourites instead and found how to create a category. However you then have to manually add every single entry you already have into that category. Future saves are much simpler but then you're limited to 1000 as someone said.
    I simply can't fathom why TomTom and Garmin have both gone down this route of cobbling the software and deliberately making it difficult and time consuming to use. As I said earlier, it has to be a deal with Foursquare that involves money so they stop us doing our own POI's in the hope we'll use Foursquares.
  • t923347 406 Points
    I have used Garmin automotive GPS units since 2005 and POI and Favorite creation and maintenance has changed very little from then to today, although I do remember "category" support being added to models at some point years ago. I doubt Foursquare was even a twinkle in the developer's eye back then, so for at least the Garmin side of things, your premise does not hold much water.
  • privet01 145 Points
    edited April 15
    I simply can't fathom why TomTom and Garmin have both gone down this route of cobbling the software and deliberately making it difficult and time consuming to use. As I said earlier, it has to be a deal with Foursquare that involves money so they stop us doing our own POI's in the hope we'll use Foursquares
    I've also used garmin marine, sports and auto devices since 2005. When I ask my nuvi to show me nearby restaurants, gas stations or such, why does it show me in a full circle radius around me, instead of ahead of me and along the interstate that I am traveling?? To me that make perfect sense, yet AFAIK, no garmin device does that. It's not so much that the programmers can't do it. It's likely that the corporate bureaucracy can't justify it monetary terms.
  • privet01 said:

I simply can't fathom why TomTom and Garmin have both gone down this route of cobbling the software and deliberately making it difficult and time consuming to use. As I said earlier, it has to be a deal with Foursquare that involves money so they stop us doing our own POI's in the hope we'll use Foursquares
    I've also used garmin marine, sports and auto devices since 2005. When I ask my nuvi to show me nearby restaurants, gas stations or such, why does it show me in a full circle radius around me, instead of ahead of me and along the interstate that I am traveling?? To me that make perfect sense, yet AFAIK, no garmin device does that. It's not so much that the programmers can't do it. It's likely that the corporate bureaucracy can't justify it monetary terms.
    You can ask it to "Search near" you or your destination or along your route. This is my first Garmin so I don't know how long you have been able to do that. However given that kids these days write great free apps and programs I can't see how cost enters the equation to add on file and folder support.
  • t923347 said:

I have used Garmin automotive GPS units since 2005 and POI and Favorite creation and maintenance has changed very little from then to today, although I do remember "category" support being added to models at some point years ago. I doubt Foursquare was even a twinkle in the developer's eye back then, so for at least the Garmin side of things, your premise does not hold much water.

OK I may stand corrected then as I've not used Garmin's before. But onsidering they offer free the large and complex basecamp you'd think adding in an obvious feature such as being able to record and categorise places you visit would be simple, straightforward and cheap.
  • privet01 145 Points
    I think you misunderstood the intent of my post. I was being sarcastic toward Garmin. You made a statement that had some sentiment toward Garmin, TomTom and Foursquare. I was just adding a different take to similar sentiment.

True I can do a search near, but that's still not quite what I want and think others would want (maybe not). When I travel on the interstate, I generally do not want to go more than a couple miles either side of it for gasoline or food. In fact I'd rather not have to go more than a 1/4 mile in most cases. So I've always desired a filter for the search function that would look ahead of the current position on my route and limit how far away from the route a "find" can be. --- but as I said previously, I've been waiting 12 years and still Garmin does not "get it", nor do any other GPS's or mapping programs I've tried.
  • The thing is the very things you're talking about are the very things that make so much sense in mapping apps. TomTom used to be excellent for that sort of thing, but they have dropped that support now even on their high end devices.
    I'm trialling Maps.me at the moment and while it's not full featured, it's free. I am taking this Garmin back to the shop for a refund on Tuesday when the shops open again. At the price they charge I think it's very limited in what it can do and as all mapping is now free I'm not really sure what I'm paying for with it.
  • Kevin_hutch 47 Points
    "I use Custom POIs extensively, with some 15 categories in 3 .gpi files in the normal POI directory and 4 in one .gpi file saved as categories in a POI subdirectory directory under the Garmin directory.
    "
    I've read this 3 times and I still don't understand it :

Just to spell it out there are two directories that Custom POI files are located one in the top "POI" directory and on as a POI sub directory in the "Garmin" directory.
    The reason for both is that reusing .gpi file names in the POI loader will overwrite the top POI directory files. Whilst the Sub directory under Garmin is left alone.

The second point is that a single .gpi file can contain multiple categories hence 15 categories in 3 .gpi files.

• sussamb 664 Points

But really,.read your message back and see the steps you have to go through to update favourites. Now compare it with what you used to do:
    Add>POI>My location: Then choose a category to add it to, and press done. Simple.
    I can't believe people are accepting of the process you describe here which is convoluted and time consuming and just plain stupid. Do you really stop at every destination you go to and put the computer on to record that place and go through all the silly steps to save it as a POI?

I'm not sure you're listening to what you're being told. To add a location as you go along you don't use POIs, you add them to favourites. This can be done simply on your device and without a computer. You're trying to make your Garmin work the same way as your TomTom, it doesn't. Once you get your head around that it will all become very simple.
  • Kevin_hutch 47 Points
    edited April 27
    There are Garmin POIs, Custom POIs and Favourite POIs.

If all you want to do is save a favourite location as a POI it is that simple touch the vehicle symbol and where you are is highlighted (or touch the spot you wish to save) if it is a street address it confirms that, if not the coordinates, you simply tap that and it shows what information will be saved hit the "hamburger menu" save it and if is not a street address it gives you the option to name it then it is a favourite POI, done.
    If at a later date you wish to group it with other categories within favourites go to favourites and rename, add phone, select/add category and/or change from heart symbol.
    Don't see the problem, of course it will be in favourites not custom POIs and as such can be edited at any time by anyone, unlike Garmin POIs or Custom POIs that need to be taken to a computer to edit.

Horses for courses, as I see it.
    BTW I do regularly add favourite POIs on the fly, then later categorise them within favourites.
  • Kevin_hutch 47 Points
    privet01 said:

True I can do a search near, but that's still not quite what I want and think others would want (maybe not). When I travel on the interstate, I generally do not want to go more than a couple miles either side of it for gasoline or food. In fact I'd rather not have to go more than a 1/4 mile in most cases. So I've always desired a filter for the search function that would look ahead of the current position on my route and limit how far away from the route a "find" can be. --- but as I said previously, I've been waiting 12 years and still Garmin does not "get it", nor do any other GPS's or mapping programs I've tried.

Wait no longer, search along the route does exactly what you ask, I can not identify how far either side of you route is states but the default in custom POIs is 400 meters I think. It does however show those POIs behind you as well. In custom POIs you have the choice to set your own limit.
  • sussamb 664 Points

There are Garmin POIs, Custom POIs and Favourite POIs.

Please let's get the terms right as that may confuse some folks. There are Garmin POIs, part of the map data, Custom POIs, loaded in various ways by the user, and Favourites or Saved places depending on the locale.

There is no such thing as a Favourite POI.
  • Kevin_hutch 47 Points
    Sorry, I have 16 groups of Points of interest with dozens of individual Points of interest within my favourites area on my nuvi 2797, so I can not see what else to call them but favourite POIs.
    I have 22 Custom POI groups contained in 10 gpi files containing hundreds of individual custom POIs, not to mention the massive selection of POIs in the 13 Garmin categories that I wish I could turn off.
    I would call all Points Of Interest POIs, in the past I would call them waypoints when used in a route plan but still POIs until I use them.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    Understand, but in Garmin speak if they're in favourites/saved places, name varies depending on where you are, then they are favourites and not POIs. I believe TomTom calls them POIs, which adds to the confusion.

Garmin POIs are either the ones that are part of the map or custom ones that you've loaded yourself.