This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

i accidently formatted my nuvi 55lm

i accidently formatted my garmin 55 i need to reload everything ,is any chance to you guys to have any idee how to make again a nice gps, new my gps is like usb storage wen i press open is open wen shows garmin is frezing wath can i do plss?

Comments

• Boyd 1735 Points
    This might be hard to fix, which is why we always suggest that everyone back up their GPS to their computer. But for starters you can try Garmin Express, it can restore some files but not sure how many. You haven't indicated what country you are in, but if you are in the US I would call (NOT e-mail) Garmin Support and ask them to help you. They have the ability to directly copy files to the GPS while it is connected to your computer.

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/UwHTK3Xuko5eNMK2b6nCn5
  • bongik 1 Point
    i m from belgium belgium have no suport for mail only one phone number wen i call i speack with robot fk
    so i need sistem files firmware to instal again if you can find for me, tx
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    Unfortunately, the only way you can replace the map is from Garmin, another map file will not work on your GPS because of copy protection.
  • alanb 348 Points
    You may be able to find the firmware file on this site: http://www.gawisp.com/perry/agree.html.

If your nuvi will no longer boot into mass storage mode, you will need to research and learn to use preboot mode and the Cure3 software. You can Google these terms to find more information. If you can get the firmware installed using these methods, you should be able to reinstall the map and most other files with Garmin Express (since you have a LM model with lifetime map updates). There may still be some missing files after doing all this, but the nuvi should boot and operate. If you know someone with the exact same model as your Garmin, you can retrieve the other missing files from their unit.

This process is very complex, so proceed only if you are willing to accept the risk. Some people can make it work and get their nuvi completely operational again. Others are never able to make it work and end up with a totally useless device that can't be repaired.
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    edited April 10
    alanb said:

You may be able to find the firmware file on this site: http://www.gawisp.com/perry/agree.html.

If your nuvi will no longer boot into mass storage mode

Reformatting the Nuvi should have no effect on the firmware because it is stored in a separate area that the user cannot access. Reformatting just erases the files that are contained in the Nuvi internal memory. Also note that he said "my gps is like usb storage", so evidently he can access the device. :)

I agree, Garmin Express would be the first step, which is what I suggested above. However the OP has not indicated whether he tried this.

• alanb 348 Points
    edited April 11
    You may be right Boyd, as I have never formatted my nuvi or had to use the preboot/Cure3 method. Here is my understanding though from what I have read in this and other forums ... garmindevice.xml gets created when you connect to the computer and of course you remove this file when you format. WIthout the GarminDevice.xml file, Garmin Express, Webupater and mapudpater will not recoginze the nuvi. So you need to disconnect and reconnect to generate a new GarminDevice.xml. But many folks find after disconnecting that the nuvi will not boot back up to the menu or connect to the computer in mass storage. It hangs or shuts off at the Garmin logo or Loading prompt. Because of this, GarminDevice.xml does not get regenerated and Garmin Express will not recognize the nuvi. That is why they resort to Cure3 to get it back into mass storage mode, and that process trashes the firmware which must then be reflashed.

If I recall, you gave a method in another post that would sometimes allow the nuvi to boot when it hangs or shuts down on boot up. I don't remember which post it was or exactly what the method was, but maybe that would be of use in this situation.

But you are right, I think because of the language translation in the OP's first post, we don't have complete information about what the symptoms are or what he has tried to do to recover. So hopefully he will come back and give us some more details.
  • bongik 1 Point
    edited April 11
    i cant put my gps in pre boot it stay open frozen image garmin logo and i cant go in mass storage to use cure3 my pc dont see any drive
  • bongik 1 Point
    i done my job with garmincure3 and updater.exe tx guys for you help.
  • alanb 348 Points
    @bongik ... Glad you were able to get it sorted out. Now, once you get your nuvi fully operational again, make a backup ;)