This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Future of Basecamp?

Interesting thread posted in the Garmin forum: "Basecamp has been discontinued"
Per the last of several technicians I talked to today, told me Garmin decided several months ago to discontinue any updates to Basecamp and to let it die. Any new devices that don't work, will not be updated to work with Basecamp. The RV770 is one of them.
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?373776-Basecamp-has-been-discontinued

I realize this is just some user with a thorn in his craw, but it has been obvious that there have been no updates or fixes to Basecamp for a long time. It will be interesting to see if Garmin responds to this post or if they even leave it up.

Comments

• sussamb 657 Points
    edited April 11
    The only developer I knew there left about this time last year. There's been no sign of any activity since.
  • DerekW 131 Points
    I do not use Basecamp for route plotting but for route tracking ie where did I go, how far was it, how high did we climb.

If the operating system obsoletes Basecamp I would be "slightly" disappointed, however if the operating system change was so radical that it caused other important to me applications to stop working I would keep a standalone copy of the operating system so that I could continue to run the old programs.
  • Boyd 1781 Points
    Well people are still using Mapsource and that was discontinued in 2010. There are also people using nRoute which was discontinued over 10 years ago. So I suspect you will still be able to run Basecamp for a good long while.
  • truckinguy 110 Points
    yea..don't need improvements at this point... I still use only MS and Basecamp.. both do my route planning on my trips out to Glacier Yellowstone etc. with POI's along the way as well as hiking snowmachining and most importantly navigating and communicating with my many hundreds of business clients family friends etc. Oh I do use POI editor for finding the nearest POI within 6 miles of my routes going out West...