This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

What's status of handhelds with L2C?

I've been out of the high accuracy survey grade GPS business for quite awhile, like since 2008! I'm a bit disturbed that we don't have L2C stand alone handhelds now that are good to at least decimeter level 3D using CORS, WAAS, etc. What's out there on the horizon?

Comments

• Boyd 1744 Points
    edited April 19
    That stuff is all above my pay grade. ;) But every now and then I have a look… The "affordable" ($1000-$2000) units from Trimble don't seem to offer much beyond what consumer devices have. There's a company called SXblue with an interesting line up, I like the idea of a bluetooth device that can work with any software on a phone or tablet.

www.sxbluegps.com/products/

For high end consumer stuff, I reviewed the Garmin GLO here: gpstracklog.com/2013/04/garmin-glo-review.html and more recently here: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/30108/what-is-gps-accuracy-testing-the-garmin-glo-in-the-forest But that will only get you 1 to 2 meter accuracy.

Bad Elf has a bluetooth device they claim 1 meter accurate, but reading various user reports, it didn't sound much better than the GLO and was much more expensive.

bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-3300-detail

Around 2013 I remember reading consumer sub-meter devices were coming soon but I haven't seen any yet. But if you want decimeter, I think that still costs $5000 or $6000, doesn't it?