This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Problem with Garmin GPS Drivesmart 70 ability to connect to Iphone 5S after firmware update to 5.20

Hello everyone,

I've been using my Garmin Drivesmart 70 GPS for more than a year now and very good functionality between my IPhone and my GPS. When a phone call was received on my IPhone 5S, it displayed on my Garmin GPS and I could answer it. I could also generate a call from my GPS to my IPhone without any problem.

Recently, I updated the firmware of the unit to version 5.20. Since then, my GPS can't receive any entering phone calls from my IPhone anymore. For example, when a phone call enters on my IPhone, I used to have a new window on my GPS asking me to answer the call. This window doesn't appear anymore when a call comes in on my IPhone. I still have a valid connection from my GPS to the IPhone via Bluetooth though which is confirmed by the IPhone and the GPS. The GPS can see the IPhone and start correctly a cellular phone call but once the call procedure is terminated, there is no sound at all from the GPS and there no sound emitted from the GPS to the phone line. Volume on the GPS for the phone is set at maximum and still no sound. GPS seems to be saying that the blutooth connection is good and operational.

I tried to delete the memory of the blutooth connection in the GPS and also in the IPhone and reinstalled the connection on both to no avail. I verified with gamin's Garmin Express and I still have the most recent firmware.

I'm at a loss about what to do next... Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Boyd 1794 Points
    edited April 30
    Don't know what might be wrong, but if it's a bug in the current firmware you could certainly revert to an older version. There's an archive here, download the version you want and then change the file name to gupdate.gcd. http://www.gawisp.com/perry/drive/

You will then need to copy gupdate.gcd to the hidden .System folder on the GPS. If you don't know how to reveal the hidden folder, see this: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/165763/#Comment_165763

When you restart the GPS, it will ask you to confirm that you want to install firmware is older than the current version.

I would also suggest making a full backup of the GPS before doing anything else, just copy all the files (including the hidden .System folder contents) to your computer as discussed in that same thread. This could save you a lot of trouble in the future if you have a problem.
  • RogerMtl 0 Points
    Thank you Boyd.
  • RogerMtl 0 Points
    A few hours ago, I went trough all the files in my GPS and deleted all the Help files in languages that I didn't need and other voices files that I considered non essential. I didn't gain much space but did it anyway. I did that because the RAM memory of the GPS was becoming saturated (approx 90% full).

Strangely enough, the GPS answered right away for an incoming call for my IPhone... I suppose that that the RAM space seems important for temporary files that could be generated from the cellular phone system hookup...

Anyway, problem solved...

RogerMtl
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    That is pretty strange, but glad you got it working. But your terminology is wrong, you are talking about the internal flash memory, not RAM. RAM is the very fast memory used to execute the program instructions. It is completely erased whenever you restart or power off the unit.

Flash memory is mass storage, like a disk drive (actually it's a SSD, or solid state disk).
  • RogerMtl 0 Points
    My error, Boyd. You are absolutely right. Thank you. I was evidently talking about the amount of Flash memory that was left in my Garmin GPS. It would seem that too little memory would have the same impact as a reglular hard disk, the OS can't swap files. You're also right that I should add a SD memory card to add space to have more space available. The only problem that I can foresee is that I planned to add a SD card with Europe's map on it when I would want to travel there. I would then still have the same limitation unless tha card would be big enough to have spare space on it. Thus My solution of deleting useless files my appear to be the only solution that still makes sense.
  • alanb 375 Points
    Garmin automotive devices read files (like maps) that you put on the SD card, but they do not write files to the SD card or use it for "work space".