This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

In-car with Ordnance Survey recommendation please

Hi folks

Sorry for the generalised request but there seems to be too much info here to search!

I have a Garmin Nuvi in my car just now but need something that will take Ordnance Survey 1:50k maps for putting classic car rallies together. It needs a decent sized screen (so walking / hand held no good) and importing .gpx would be good too.

Any ideas please?

Comments

• sussamb 639 Points
    Well you can load Garmin's OS mapping onto your nuvi, although I believe it's only available on a card and it is quite expensive.
  • Boyd 1744 Points
    edited May 1
    sussamb said:

Well you can load Garmin's OS mapping onto your nuvi

I am in the US, but don't think that is possible. The OS maps contain raster data and that has never been supported on Garmin automotive devices. Garmin does not claim any compatibility for these maps on their website, for example, click on the compatible devices tab here: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/63898#devices

I just don't "get" the whole OS map thing. In the US, maps made by the government are available for free download by anyone, since they were created with public funds. :) However I suspect your best option is going to be an Android tablet with an app. Nice tablets are pretty cheap and there are many, many apps. I just don't know which ones support OS mapping. I like the OruxMaps app, which is free and very powerful. A quick Google search found a lot of people complaining that Orux used to support OS mapping but apparently it no longer does.
  • sussamb 639 Points
    Boyd said:

sussamb said:

Well you can load Garmin's OS mapping onto your nuvi

I am in the US, but don't think that is possible. The OS maps contain raster data and that has never been supported on Garmin automotive devices.
    Ah, okay, I wasn't aware of that.

• Boyd 1744 Points
    edited May 1
    Garmin's GPSMap 276cx would be the device with the largest screen (5 inches) that is compatible with those maps. However, it is really expensive and I don't think it's an overstatement to say it's been very poorly received. In fact, people using the Garmin Discoverer maps are especially unhappy with the slow screen response and position lag.

See the epic thread on this site:

advrider.com/index.php?threads/garmin-announces-the-new-gpsmap-276cx.1178312/
  • juzza 0 Points
    Hi folks

Many thanks for your time so far.

Sussamb, the OS mapping we have here is some of the finest detail you can get in a map & is essential for my rallying sideline. I'd be very interested in any thoughts re tablets / apps or info on another website.

Boyd, thanks for the words & link - will endeavour to have a look.

Cheers
  • sussamb 639 Points
    juzza said:

Sussamb, the OS mapping we have here is some of the finest detail you can get in a map & is essential for my rallying sideline. I'd be very interested in any thoughts re tablets / apps or info on another website.

I agree, it was Boyd who gave the info on tablets etc ;)