This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Is there a very simple GPS device that can....

jadetiger 0 Points
edited May 15 in GPS Discussions
Hi All,

I got a question...

Does anyone know if there is a very inexpensive and simple GPS device that just gives you a speed and maybe a distance traveled readout?

I know there are cycling computers, fitness watches and stuff like that but I am looking for something that is super cheap so that if it gets damaged, it's not going to be that expensive to replace it.

A gps speedometer that's maybe around $50 or less?

Comments

• alanb 353 Points
    You could buy a used Garmin ... something like a nuvi 205. Often these go on eBay for $10 or $20. Even if it needs a new battery, that can be had for another $10 to $20.
  • Boyd 1737 Points
    That's not a bad idea, but even with a new battery I doubt you will get more than 3 hours run time on a Nuvi. If you need more than that, look for a used handheld like the original yellow eTrex. They have very good battery life and run on AA batteries that are easy to change.

Still, "you get what you pay for". A $50 GPS could end up as $50 wasted after a few weeks use. ;)
  • jadetiger 0 Points
    edited May 15
    Hey guys... thanks for the info... how about using an old unlocked smart phone as a gps speedometer? Is that possible? I really need the speed function more than anything else... it would help with some of the sports I participate in. :P

• Boyd 1737 Points
    Yes, I think a cheap old smartphone would be a good choice, assuming it has a decent GPS (probably best to choose a phone from the past three years or so). There are tons of basic GPS apps on both iOS and Android, many are free.

Again, the issue with a heavily used old smartphone could be a battery that doesn't offer a lot of runtime.
  • jadetiger 0 Points
    Batteries are not too expensive to replace... if you know where to look/buy. Do you know of any good speedometer apps? Really just something that gives me the speed and nothing but the speed should do me fine, hahaha. I use google earth to plan out my sporting adventures... so measuring distance is not necessary.