This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Drive 60LM hangs in Express map update

Got the message from Express yesterday about a new map update available. It's the 2018.20 update, which seems strange (shouldn't it be 2017.20??). Anyway, Express gets to Step 1 of 2, Preparing Device for Map Update, says "This may take a minute...", and is then stuck there for hours. I have tried it several times and even rebooted my PC (Windows 10) in between, but no luck. If I finally abort the process, my device is OK and still has the current map.

Any ideas of something to try? Any hope of support from Garmin? At worst I'll just skip this update and try again later in the year.

Comments

• rochrunner 88 Points
    Just confirmed that my current map is 2018.10 (Foursquare U.S. & Canada), so the version number is not an issue.
  • alanb 366 Points
    Yes, you can get support from Garmin. Most folks get good results when they call Garmin support, but not so much with email. Since it is the weekend, you will need to wait until Monday to call.

In the meantime, if your computer has a card reader and you have a 8 GB or larger SD card (or a 8GB or larger thumb drive), you could try the cloning method (just Google "Garmin maps cloning method"). You shouldn't need to use cloning on a 60LM, but sometimes eliminating the USB connection to the device will solve the problem you describe. If cloning is successful, you can manually copy the updated files from the card or thumb drive back to the device.
  • sussamb 655 Points
    There are often issues with Win10 when your device is in mtp mode, which it is by default. Try switching it to mass storage mode.
  • Ramaprem 110 Points
    sussamb's advice regarding switching mode worked for me.
    I use a Mac, had the same issue as you, and switching mode solved the problem.
  • rochrunner 88 Points
    sussamb said:

There are often issues with Win10 when your device is in mtp mode, which it is by default. Try switching it to mass storage mode.

Unfortunately, it didn't make any difference. I'll try again later next week when I get a chance or call for tech support.
  • Ramaprem 110 Points
    I need to correct my post:
    sussamb's advice regarding switching mode worked to solve another issue that I was having - not yours.

There are so many (software) issues with Garmin products, it's hard for me to keep them straight.