This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Transitioning from Nuvi 255w

I've had a Nuvi 255w for the past roughly 8 years. It has worked well & has been easy to use & accurate. But the USB port decided to retire so it's time for a replacement. A couple of weeks ago, I bought a Drivesmart 50 LMTHD. It's OK if you don't mind getting lost, missing turns & generally not knowing when you will arrive or how long your trip will be among other issues. I will be returning it after this weekend.

So now I'm considering the Nuvi 57LMT. I know it's a 2 year old model, but as long as the unit I get is brand new, I don't have an issue with that (the Drivesmart 50 is last year's model). I don't have a smartphone & my car handles the Bluetooth. I don't use the voice commands in my car either. I'm looking for a GPS that is accurate & efficient. I hope the 57LMT fits that bill. Any other suggestions or comments?

Comments

• alanb 373 Points
    I gave you my idea in the other forum, but will repeat it here ...
    Take a look at the 3597LMTHD refurbished ($179.95 at theGPSstore.com)
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    I have a 2597 and I was wondering if the drivesmart 50 or the nuvicam or the 3597 would be worthwhile investment?
    I ca n get them with decent pricing at gpscity refurbs.
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    edited May 24
    Rocktman can you please tell me at what zoom level the map display stops showing minor roads on the 50?

Alan what about the 3597?
  • alanb 373 Points
    edited May 24
    in 2D mode on 3597, you lose detail at 0.8 miles. The detail is still there at 0.5 miles, but for my old eyes, it is pretty difficult to see. I use my 3597 in 3D mode which autozooms, so for me, the detail level is not all that relevant. I have never used it in 2D mode, so I can't really comment on how the zoom/detail works in that mode.

One thing I like when navigating with the 3597 (navigating to a destination), it shows both the next turn (at the top) and the street you are driving on (at the bottom).
  • sussamb 658 Points
    Garmin perhaps realised this was a good feature, as the Drive series do that also.
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    the 2597 also shows that info.
  • Rocktman 1 Point
    Zemartelo said:

Rocktman can you please tell me at what zoom level the map display stops showing minor roads on the 50?

With the map set for More Detail, I lose minor roads at about 800ft.
  • Boyd 1781 Points
    Rocktman said:

Something must be wrong there, I'm sure minor roads will show through more than just 800 feet if you have map detail set at the highest level.
  • t923347 406 Points
    edited May 24
    Rocktman said:

Zemartelo said:

I think you may mean 800 metres and not 800 ft.

With my 3597 I see street detail at 800 m but it goes away at the next zoom level which is 1.2 km. So that would be street detail present at the 1/2 mile level (2640 ft) but gone at 3/4 mile setting (3960 ft). I agree with alanb though that it's pretty hard to see the detail and there are certainly no street names at 800m/1/2 mile.
  • Boyd 1781 Points
    Yes, 800 meters would be more reasonable. :)
  • Rocktman 1 Point
    alanb said:

I gave you my idea in the other forum, but will repeat it here ...
    Take a look at the 3597LMTHD refurbished ($179.95 at theGPSstore.com)

alanb, I read your suggestion on the other site. However, I've looked at some & I think refurb units are priced too high. IMO
  • Rocktman 1 Point
    Boyd said:

Yes, 800 meters would be more reasonable. :)

No, feet is correct.
  • Rocktman 1 Point
    Verified this morning: it is feet, not meters (US language & kybd). I guess I'll have to add this quirk to my growing list of deficiencies of the Drivesmart 50LMTHD I have. http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=150503
  • Boyd 1781 Points
    edited May 25
    800 feet is ridiculous. Older devices like the streetpilot series showed little roads up to .8 miles. I think that was the same on the older Nuvi's like the 2xx, 3xx, 6xx and 7xx series. Then IIRC, they changed this to .5 miles on the 1xxx series. But 800 feet is 3 clicks lower than that, you must just see a blank screen in rural areas.
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    And the worst of it is that when I got the 2597 it would show down to 1.2km zoom before it lost detail and then a firmware came along and they reduced the zoom to 500 meters.
  • Rocktman 1 Point
    Boyd said:

800 feet is ridiculous. Older devices like the streetpilot series showed little roads up to .8 miles. I think that was the same on the older Nuvi's like the 2xx, 3xx, 6xx and 7xx series. Then IIRC, they changed this to .5 miles on the 1xxx series. But 800 feet is 3 clicks lower than that, you must just see a blank screen in rural areas.

Not quite a complete blank screen, but a lot of blank space around my route, even in suburban areas.
  • Rocktman 1 Point
    My Drivesmart 50LMTHD has been returned. Now I'm waiting on the Nuvi 57LMT I ordered. I'm hoping for a better experience with it.