This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Express can't find my Nuvi 3597

I used Garmin Express to update the maps on my 3597 a few days ago and since then GE can't find my Nuvi. I've had the same thing occur using the newest version of GE ( 5.5.0.0) and the one prior to this lasted version (5.4.1.1). GE 5.4.1.1 was used when the map update was installed.

I plug the 3597 into my computer using the supplied USB cable and Windows File Explorer finds both the device and the installed SD card. I then fire up GE and it shows the 3597 as not connected. I have tried using different USB port on my PC (USB 2 and USB 3 attached directly to the computer, USB2 and USB 3 attached to the computer via a USB powered hub) with no success. I also get the same results if I remove the SD card from the device.

I've tried deleting the 3597 from GE and then attempting to re-install it but of course that will not work as GE can't find the GPS.

I tried using WebUpdater and although it finds the 3597 it wants to update the system software to version 5.40 which is already installed on the unit.

Any assistance you can give me would be appreciated.

Comments

  • alanb 373 Points
    edited May 25
    Have you tried deleting GarminDevice.xml? System reset? Different computer?
  • t923347 406 Points
    edited May 25
    Yes to all of the above and I've used 2 different USB cables. :((
  • alanb 373 Points
    Since it works in mass storage mode, what happens if you make a clone with only \Garmin\Garmindevice.xml? Does GE recognize the clone?
  • t923347 406 Points
    edited May 25
    No it doesn't. Windows sees the Nuvi and the Clone but GE doesn't see either. GE version 5.4.1.0 saw both when I updated the maps late last week.
  • alanb 373 Points
    Well, that eliminates a USB/cable problem and points to either something wrong with GarminDevice.xml or a bug in GE.
  • alanb 373 Points
    Does GE 5.5.0 recognize a clone (from a backup) before the map update?
  • t923347 406 Points
    I didn't install 5.0.0 until after I discovered that GE didn't see the Nuvi. I think I had 5.4.1.0 when I did the map update using your Cloning method. GE then updated to 5.4.1.1. (I think) and since then it doesn't see the Nuvi. The only reason I've discovered it at all was because I kept getting a message on the Nuvi to go to WebUpdater to get a new TrafficProvider file. Instead of going to WebUpdater I went to GE as I knew it had been showing an update for TrafficProvider when I did the map update and that's when I found I couldn't get GE to see the 3597.
  • alanb 373 Points
    If you have a backup, I would be tempted to make a new clone and re-do the map update. Either that, or copy the old version of garmindevice.xml to your nuvi, fire up GE and reupdate the map on the nuvi itself.
  • t923347 406 Points
    edited May 25
    OK I got an old (Jan 31/17) garmindevice.xml file from a backup and installed it on the Nuvi. Garmin Express found the device so I was able to set it up in GE.

    Now it gets interesting. I rebooted the Nuvi and at that point a new garmindevice.xml file got created. With the new file GE CAN NOT SEE THE 3597

    Replacing the new .xml file with the old one again and GE finds it in a nanosecond.

    I wonder if there is a way to figure out what's wrong with the Nuvi that's creating a .xml file that GE can't use?
  • alanb 373 Points
    At least that gives you a method to reapply the map update. That's good news and I suspect there must be something that is corrupting garmindevice.xml. I bet reupdating the map will fix it.
  • t923347 406 Points
    edited May 25
    I'll give it a try. Would you suggest updating using the cloning method or directly to the device?

  • alanb 373 Points
    edited May 25
    I would probably use cloning, but either way should work.

    Incidentally, I did have a little trouble this time in that the GE did not delete all the old 2018,10 files. I had to manually delete the old JCV and a couple of the .SID files. I used 5.4.1.0 for the update ... so maybe that is fixed in 5.5.0.
  • t923347 406 Points
    edited May 25
    I was OK as far as the map update was concerned, that is, no files needed to be deleted manually.

    As always thanks for all your help. I'll let you know if the map download solves my ongoing issue but as you say, I can now at least do the map updates. :)
  • t923347 406 Points
    alanb said:

    At least that gives you a method to reapply the map update. That's good news and I suspect there must be something that is corrupting garmindevice.xml. I bet reupdating the map will fix it.

    Just completed updating the maps again and all seems to be fine with my 3597. GE finds the device as it should.

    Thanks again for all your help alanb.

Sign In or Register to comment.
↑ Top