This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin 2595LM route preference

I've had the Garmin 2595LM for a few years, and it's been great for town navigation. However, for long distance routes, it always selects minor roads and not motorways. I've tried different calculation modes but nothing worked. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Synctime 30 Points
    It's not set to motorway avoidance.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    We have a "mega thread" on this topic here: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/13967/x/p1/
  • Synctime 30 Points
    I've just saw the discussions but there are no solutions. I was in Switzerland with the Garmin last month. The hired car had a built in satnav and correctly told me to use the highways, whereas the Garmin kept telling me to exit and the estimated journey time was much longer.

I want the Garmin to select highways as the first choice, but it seems it's impossible, as I have tried every setting on the route preferences. My software and maps are the latest.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    My Garmins generally select highways, and I travel quite a lot through UK and France. Can you give an example with a start and finish point where yours doesn't?
  • sussamb 664 Points
    Struggling to edit the above for some reason. One more thought have you done a master reset?
  • Synctime 30 Points
    It happened when I used the Garmin from Geneva to Bern, Bern to Geneva, Sheffield to Nottingham.

I've just did a complete software and map update. Is there any setting I should do, eg route preference?
  • sussamb 664 Points
    Have you done a master reset? That's most likely to resolve this issue.
  • Synctime 30 Points
    By pressing the power on for 10 seconds?
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    No, that just forces a shutdown. See this: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/21511/x/p1/
  • Synctime 30 Points
    Thanks, I've done a master reset. I'll try the satnav the next time.
  • Synctime 30 Points
    It will be for a long while when I need to go on the motorway again, but I will post again.