This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Nuvi285W gives totally wrong directions

Yes I do know that this is an old unit, but I bought lifetime support and I update it a couple of times a year.

The following happened at this intersection: 36.132907, -79.846031.
I am on New Garden Road heading east. My destination is to the north.
Approaching the intersection, I get the correct instructions: "Turn left onto Old Battleground."
I stop at the light at the intersection and the GPS recalculates.
The new instructions are "In point two miles, turn right onto New Garden Road."
Yes, there is a road in front of me. It's been there for decades and it is one way traffic coming at me.
The map was displaying correctly.
I made the turn I know I was supposed to make, and the GPS recalculated and resumed normal navigation.

I have no idea where the GPS was trying to take me. The road in front of me is an extension of New Garden Road and it loops around to rejoin Old Battleground about 1/4 mile south. The unit wanted me to go against traffic and take the long way around.

I know that this is an old unit, but I have been experiencing a lot of difficulty since I updated the maps and software in April. On a number of intersections, I can have the front bumper on the stop line and it is telling me I have 0.8 miles to go. I can give you the coordinates on that too!

I've gotten used to the fact that Garmin assumes you will do the speed limit and make all the lights. Therefore the quickest route from the Gothels Bridge to Haggerstown MD is through downtown Philadelphia along every back road and small town in New Jersey.

I've also gotten used to driving about 400 feet parallel to the road I am actually on. I kind of figured out that the algorithm expects you to do as the GPS directs and if you are "close enough" (such as driving on the service road), it thinks you are doing what it directed to do.

What is going on? Why does it sometimes stop updating distance remaining to the turn and why does it try to direct me against traffic, the long way around and definitely not the fastest route? Does the upgrade include a software defect? If the unit is failing because of age, then it should be failing consistently, not just at selected locations.

I did a reset on the unit, dumped all my favorites and re-entered them.

Eventually, I will get a better unit. One that will allow me to download the route I want to take from Google maps. However, I use this thing serval times a year, and at that, usually to someplace I already know how to go. I like knowing how far it is I have to go. So as long as it works, I'll keep it.

Comments

• Boyd 1786 Points
    edited June 4
    For starters, I would do a hard reset if you have not already done so: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/21511/x/p1/

If that doesn't help and you suspect the firmware update caused the problem, you can roll back to any version you like by downloading it from this archive: http://www.gawisp.com/perry/nuvi/

After downloading, change the name of the file to gupdate.gcd and copy it to the Garmin directory on the GPS. When the GPS starts up, it should ask if you want to downgrade to the older firmware.

If you think the problem is the map, you can revert to an older version if you made a backup.
  • Dan_NC 0 Points
    Thank you for your response. I will try this, but it may be a weekend project, so it may take a while before I get to it. I will report back when I get a chance to try it.