This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Cheapest unit that will allow download from Google Maps

I will eventually get around to replacing my Nuvi285W. One of the features it lacks is the ability to select your choice of what route to take. I know I can get around this by setting waypoints.

However unless you drive over the waypoint, the unit will direct you to do a U-turn because you missed it. If the waypoint is an overpass or underpass, you may get the wrong road and be told to get on the other highway and drive to the next exit and come back or it may direct you in a loop-de-loop through the cloverleaf.

Let's just say that waypoints have their limitations :).

So I'd like a unit where I can decide what route I want to take. I'd like to be able to set the route manually, but more than likely, I'd work it out on Google Maps and would like to download it.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• t923347 405 Points
    I may be wrong but I don't think Google maps don't support anything but downloading a route to your phone. If I recall correctly they dropped the Send to GPS feature years ago.
  • sussamb 655 Points
    What you can do though is to save the Google route as a kml file, import it into BaseCamp then send it to a device.
  • alanb 366 Points
    Many of the newer Garmin devices allow shaping points as well as via points on a multi-point route. Shaping points can be skipped without trying to direct you back or prompting for U turns.
  • t923347 405 Points
    sussamb said:

What you can do though is to save the Google route as a kml file, import it into BaseCamp then send it to a device.

Another alternative is to create the route in Tyre (free download from http://www.tyretotravel.com/ ) and then send it directly to the Garmin device using the Garmin - Copy to Garmin menu item. This creates a Trip in all the newer devices that support Trip Planner.