This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

How do I delete MANY but not all saved places?

The title says it.

Somehow I once got several hundred places in Saved Places. (I've been moving my saved places from NUVI to NUVI for years so I don't know how/when this happened.) I just ignored this until recently when it has become a problem.

I can bring up all these meaningless places with a search but then it doesn't allow me to delete them. To delete them I must go into another screen and check the boxes one-by-one. It would take me forever. So, is there a way to edit the nuvi file that has the saved places in it? I can't afford to delete all saved places -- I've been collecting them for years and there must be hundreds of real ones I can't remember to and again it would take even longer to enter all these addresses.

So, how do I delete a large number of saved places without deleting them all.

Comments

• alanb 373 Points
    edited June 10
    Where To > Saved > 3 bar menu icon > Delete Saved Places. Put a check beside the ones you want to delete, then click Delete.

Alternatively, you could export them to BaseCamp. Then delete all saved places on your device using the procedure described above (there is a single box you check to delete all saved places). Edit the list in BaseCamp until it has only the favorites you want to keep. Then send the new list back to your device.
  • Boyd 1781 Points
    edited June 11
    alanb said:

Edit the list in BaseCamp until it has only the favorites you want to keep. Then send the new list back to your device.

Basecamp is a good way to do this, however I think there is one additional step if you take that approach. After importing the saved places (waypoints) into Basecamp, restart the Nuvi and then use the menus to delete ALL saved places and confirm they are really gone. If you don't do this, the saved places will still be there. Garmin's outdoor/handheld models allow Basecamp to directly change data stored on the device but the Nuvi does not behave that way. The only way to delete data from the Nuvi is using the menus on the device itself.

I would also suggest deleting ALL .gpx files from the Nuvi before sending any new data to it from Basecamp. The Nuvi automatically imports any .gpx files it finds, and this can cause unwanted old waypoints to reappear.

After you make your changes to the waypoints you have imported into Basecamp, send the new list to the Nuvi.

Also, make sure you have a good backup of your Nuvi before deleting anything. Specifically, be sure that you keep a backup copy of the file Current.gpx, it will contain a copy of all your waypoints.
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
    Sorry I\m late responding, I didn\t get notices of the replies.

I haven't used Basecamp in a long time, I'll give it a try. Thanks.
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
    edited June 11
    I don't think it worked.

• It automatically imported all the stuff from my nuvi including trip logs into Basecamp.
    • I deleted all the files and folders in the gpx folder on the unit.
    • In Basecamp I deleted all the stuff I wanted to get rid of and clicked Send to Device.

When I restarted the nuvi all the old stuff was still there.

Then:

• I deleted all the gpx files and folder again
    • Disconnected and restarted the nuvi
    • Everything was still there

Then:

• I deleted the gpx files again and restarted basecamp
    • Using basecamp I retrieved the stuff from the nuvi
    • Everything is still there

What am I doing wrong?
  • sussamb 658 Points
    edited June 11
    Having copied everything to BaseCamp you then need to disconnect your device and delete all the data on it using its menus. Then reconnect it to your PC and send the new data. Boyd explained this in his post above and it's the step you're missing.

Deleting all the files in the GPX folder on the device doesn't delete the data on the device as those files are simply one way copies of what is held in inaccessible (to the user) internal data that can only be deleted through the nuvi's menu.
  • Boyd 1781 Points
    Exactly. As I stated above, "The only way to delete data from the Nuvi is using the menus on the device itself." :)
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
    edited June 11
    Boyd said:

Exactly. As I stated above, "The only way to delete data from the Nuvi is using the menus on the device itself." :)

I apologize. Your are correct (later in your original post). When I saw you start with this:
    Saved > 3 bar menu icon > Delete Saved Places. Put a check beside the ones you want to delete, then click Delete.
    I assumed you hadn't read my original post and were just telling me what I already knew.

I have now read the rest and it worked perfectly.

Thank you