This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

How can I input decimal co-ordinates into my Garmin?

I know there are a dozen different types of coordinates that you can input into Garmin, but the most widely used one on mapping software and apps is the decimal one, and I can't find how to put these into Garmin.
They take this format: 47.592744, 12.988019
Can anyone help?

Comments

• t923347 406 Points
    You don't say what model GPS you have but the various supported formats on my 3597 (and probably most all models) can be selected at:

Settings - Units & Time - Position Format - Coordinate Format
  • sussamb 658 Points
    On newer models do a Where to, Coordinates. Tap the spanner icon and select the format you want.
  • My model is the Garmin Nuvi 58.
    I know how to find Where to>co-ordinates and tap the spanner to select various formats, my problem is I've been through them all and can't find the decimal one.
    There's 2 formats that tend to be most commonly used. 1 is decimal which google uses and the other is Nxx.xx.xxx and Exx.xx.xxx The only thing similar in Garmin is one that uses Nxx.xx.xxx and Exxx.xx.xxx

I've tried the second one but the results are off by quite a bit.

It's got me totally confused because of all the formats in Garmin I've never seen one that most places use.
  • sussamb 658 Points
    Mine have always had decimal formats so not sure why your 58 doesn't?
  • what do they look like in your screen?
  • sussamb 658 Points
    h ddd.dddddd
  • Well therein lies the problem. I also have that format, but it's h ddd.ddddd, which means there's 1 digit missing, hence why it doesn't work.
  • sussamb 658 Points
    edited June 11
    Course it will. Just ignore the last digit. The difference in normal use is miniscule and your nuvi can't produce that sort of accuracy so five figures is more than sufficient.
  • I'll try it out, thanks
  • Ramaprem 110 Points
    Exx.xx.xxx needs to be Exxx.xx.xxx
    There needs to be 3 digits here.

A leading zero is often what needs to be here.
    The value is from 000 to 179: 3 digits

And:
    one can always use Google Earth to get equivalents in systems. Use its preferences to view coordinates in another system.
    And there are Websites for conversion.
  • Kevin_hutch 47 Points
    sussamb said:

Course it will. Just ignore the last digit. The difference in normal use is miniscule and your nuvi can't produce that sort of accuracy so five figures is more than sufficient.

The 5th decimal point represents 1.1 metre and you GPS is rarely closer than 5 metres making the 6th decimal point superfluous.
  • Boyd 1781 Points
    Aside from that, Garmin's map format is limited to a resolution of +/- 2.5 meters. ;)