This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin drive smart 51

I bought my garmin drive smart 51 because of the lane assist . Now it seems to be a baby in dipers it is only available on major high ways .What a flop . They don't tell you that if you buy a garmin . Of course the screen is nicer and updating is easy with wifi and they are faster .
But if there is no lane assist , my old nuvi 255 does a better and clearer job . And in hind site do you really want to be pestered with phone calls and e mails on your screen if you are concentrating on your road directions???
And my old nuvi 255 has a battery live of 4 hours so I used it in towns and walks to mark my starting point so that I could always find my car back .

Comments

• sussamb 786 Points
    Lane assist and junction view are available on more than just major highways, but it's true they aren't universal so don't cover every possible junction.
  • stoffie 11 Points
    Update on the drive smart.
    I have it now for a year.
    If you downloaded the garmin smartphone link you can use google maps and mark your place or use the irish eircode on google map than click on share than the garmin app comes up in the list ( you can share it with) . Than click on the app if the app opens click send. Absolute brilliant.
    The only downside is the way too shiny screen and the low battery live is making it hard to use it as a handheld device on walks.
  • OldGeezer 10 Points
    Have you considered an external cell phone battery when taking a long walk?
  • Boyd 1960 Points
    I would consider either a smartphone or a "real" handheld GPS for walks. The DriveSmart is an automotive device. ;)
  • stoffie 11 Points
    Yes you are right but the old nuvi was for both so nice with a battery live of 4 hours and anti glare screen. It all ways takes me a while to adjust to the new.
    I will now buy a anti glare plastick for the device.
    Doe anyone knows why they use a super glare screen? Is it cheaper or came someone in up wifh a brainwave and sold it as being superior.
  • crazyfingers 106 Points
    My observation on my Drive Smart 61 is that when I deleted the Junction View file, the lane assist arrows at the top left of the screen right show up more frequently.