This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Transitioned to Nuvi 57LMT

My new Nuvi 57LMT arrived on Sat. The screen is nowhere as reflective as the Drivesmart 50 I returned, which is good. The DS was so reflective it could practically be a mirror. I used the 57 to go to work this morning & its ETA was even longer than the DS was. Very weird, but not earthshaking for my commute. A big thing is I think the zoom level stayed roughly as I had it over the weekend, thankfully. How it routes & whether or not it can find my destination will have to wait until I do any kind of trip (the DS 50 was terrible, IMHO, at this).

Comments

• sussamb 664 Points
    I have a DriveSmart 50 and haven't found its screen an issue, much clearer than the 2508 it replaced. I've also not had any routing issues. Good luck with your 57.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    Rocktman said:

A big thing is I think the zoom level stayed roughly as I had it over the weekend, thankfully.

Are you talking about auto-zoom? You can disable auto-zoom on the Nuvi, but it requires a little trick. Assuming you are in North America, do a hard reset and choose Australia as your country when it starts up. You should now see a new item in the maps menu for disabling auto-zoom (the exact menu varies by model, I believe it's in the MyMaps menu on my older Nuvi).

For some reason, Garmin only allows this to be done in select countries which never made any sense to me. If you do this, you may want to change a few other menu items, such as miles for units, American English and 12 hour time format.
  • Rocktman 1 Point
    Boyd said:

Rocktman said:

A big thing is I think the zoom level stayed roughly as I had it over the weekend, thankfully.

Are you talking about auto-zoom? You can disable auto-zoom on the Nuvi, but it requires a little trick. Assuming you are in North America, do a hard reset and choose Australia as your country when it starts up. You should now see a new item in the maps menu for disabling auto-zoom (the exact menu varies by model, I believe it's in the MyMaps menu on my older Nuvi).

For some reason, Garmin only allows this to be done in select countries which never made any sense to me. If you do this, you may want to change a few other menu items, such as miles for units, American English and 12 hour time format.
    That seems bit drastic considering it's not as big an issue on the 57 I now have as it was on the DS 50 I returned. Thanks for the tip anyway, Boyd.
  • Rocktman 1 Point
    edited June 14
    Observations: I guess I'm coming to terms with the ETA issue. I think I've figured out why the 57 & DS 50 are so different from my old 255w. The 255w would give you an accurate ETA initially, but adjust it as you drive accounting for traffic lights & slow downs, thereby extending the ETA realistically. The 57 & DS 50 give you an ETA (based on what I haven't a clue) that's apparently far off from reality, but also adjust it based on actual travel, thus reducing the ETA. I find the 57 winds up more accurate as you arrive at your destination than the DS 50 did, but still not as accurate as my 255w. The 57 screen is also much less reflective than the DS 50 was, however I like the power button on the DS 50 better (see, there is something I liked on the DS 50).
  • sussamb 664 Points
    Note also that there have been discussions in the past as to whether your device learns how you drive. There was a Garmin FAQ on this but I can no longer find it. Certainly I've found that the more I use a device the more accurate the ETA becomes, and there are reports from other users that after a master reset ETA times change indicating any adjustments made due to driving style have been deleted.
  • Rocktman 1 Point
    sussamb said:

Note also that there have been discussions in the past as to whether your device learns how you drive. There was a Garmin FAQ on this but I can no longer find it. Certainly I've found that the more I use a device the more accurate the ETA becomes, and there are reports from other users that after a master reset ETA times change indicating any adjustments made due to driving style have been deleted.

Sometimes I think it can, other times not so sure.
    http://www.poi-factory.com/node/42523
    http://www.gpsreview.net/train-your-nuvi-eta/
  • alanb 375 Points
    It is fairly easy to verify. Do a master reset, then simulate a saved route noting the driving speeds on various road segments. They should pretty much match the posted speed limits. Then use your device for a month or so without doing a master reset. Simulate the same route and check the simulated speeds against those recorded earlier. If they change, the device "learned" your driving habits. You can also check this by comparing the ETA (or more specifically total travel time) for a simulated route after the reset and again after the learning. If you have a traffic connection, or enable the "MyTrends/TrafficTrends" features, the current traffic conditions or time of day/day of week can also affect both the route and the ETA results.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    alanb said:

Do a master reset, then simulate a saved route noting the driving speeds on various road segments. They should pretty much match the posted speed limits. Then use your device for a month or so without doing a master reset. Simulate the same route and check the simulated speeds against those recorded earlier.

Wouldn't it be easier to do this the other way around? First, simulate some routes using roads you frequently travel and make a note of the estimated times. Then do the master reset and see if the estimates change. ;)
  • sussamb 664 Points
    edited June 15
    Would be but as the OP has only just bought it I suspect it hasn't yet learnt anything! May just be worth noting ETAs on some current routes and see if they've changed in a month or so.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    I think the "learning" capability of the Nuvi is really very simplistic. AFAIK, it just looks at average speeds for each class of road. So, for example, if you usually drive 10mph faster than the speed limit on an interstate highway, that would be used in calculations. But this applies to every interstate regardless of whether it goes up the side of a mountain or a flat plain and regardless of whether it's a sunny day or midnight during a blizzard.

For smaller roads like county routes, the conditions can vary a lot so I don't think an average speed will be that meaningful. Garmin's newer, more sophisticated system is called TrafficTrends/MyTrends. It takes historical traffic flow into consideration as well as your own driving patterns. It has been worthless on my two devices, choosing very strange routes, so I have disabled it. It also "suggests" places I might want to go when I don't have an active route, which is annoying. Have not tried it recently, so maybe it's improved?