This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

garmin numaps 010-11269-00 gift card

garmin numaps 010-11269-00 gift card
This Garmin gift card 010-11269-00 is very difficult to install . It is a communicator plug-in and Garmin stopped supporting plug-ins in 2015. Apple Safari still supports plug-ins and that was the only way I was able to install my gift card. Big frustration if you can't get to a Safari computer. Once the gift card is installed, it works as expected. It will update old model gps that only have 2G . You will only get a portion of the USA states, but I found this to be acceptable. Garmin says that internet explorer still supports plug-ins, but it did not work for me. Once you buy this gift card, I hope you do not get as frustrated as I got with the installation. Maybe your installation will be without problems. I hope so and good luck with your purchase. I hope this honest review helps you.

Comments

• sussamb 655 Points
    Not sure why you couldn't get it to work but Communicator Plug In works fine with IE11 on both my Win7 and Win10 PCs.

Having said that having activated the card via myGarmin you should then be able to download the map via Garmin Express, which does not require the plug in.
  • johnward 18 Points
    Sorry but I have windows 10, and I use Chrome. Internet explorer refused to load on my computer. I spent hours with internet explorer, and it kept shutting down on me. Your experience is apparently very different then mine.
  • sussamb 655 Points
    Internet explorer not loading points to an issue with your PC rather than Garmin's plug in, which as I said shouldn't be needed as having activated the map update you should be able to use Express, does that run on your PC?
  • johnward 18 Points
    Actually " internet explorer has stopped working " is what I had to deal with. My son was unable to fix the problem using Microsoft supports suggestions. And it appears to me that there are many problems with internet explorer in windows 10. Garmin Express has always worked on my windows pc,never a problem. Bottom line, my gift card worked, I was able to upgrade an older Garmin nuvi 5000 to lifetime maps, and for a small price for the gift card $ 32. Just my frustrations, and not some one else. bye
  • alanb 366 Points
    I am not sure Garmin is still marketing the Lifetime Map Update Gift card ... at least I can't find it on their web site. AFAIK, all new automotive devices (in North America anyway) come with a lifetime map subscription, so I would guess the numbers of still working older devices without lifetime subscriptions are rapidly diminishing. I know there are still online retailers that have the gift cards available, but I bet it is old stock. Garmin quit selling the DVD versions of add-on maps some time ago, so it is no longer possible to put a lifetime update subscription on an added map.
  • Boyd 1749 Points
    edited June 16
    Glad that you were able to get it working @johnward !

I still have my Nuvi 5000, I think it got it around 2008. It was a very nice model back in the day - it was Garmin's first 5" device and also the highest resolution screen at 800x480. It also had an audio output jack and a video input jack for backup cameras. IIRC, it also has a light sensor to automatically adjust screen brightness.

But it always seemed really slow at zoom/scrolling the map and other operations. It was one of Garmin's only devices to run the Linux operating system (a close cousin of the Nuvi 800 series). It was very slow to start up - which was made worse by the fact that it did a cold boot every time since it didn't have an internal battery (what was Garmin thinking there?).

It's great that you continue to get service from this old model, but I can't imagine going back to it myself. :)
  • johnward 18 Points
    Older gift cards and older gps are always available on Amazon and Ebay. That is where I shop. I believe my Garmin nuvi 5000 is from 2008. I stay in the $20-$25 range. Some are new old stock. Many sellers don't even know what they are selling. Of course if one really needs the latest, then the smartphone may be their choice.