This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Nothing like an OEM nav system to make one appreciate a Garmin

Last fall I bought a 2013 Honda Accord that had built-in navigation. I thought it would be convenient since I wouldn't have to deal with my Nuvi, the power cable and the suction-cup mount. I'd just import my Nuvi waypoints and away I'd go. Well, the manual says you can import a .CSV or a .KML file but it's not as easy as it looks. It wouldn't import the .CSV file at all. I found an online converter and converted it to the .KML format and it did import it (or so it claimed.) Where it put the waypoints in anyone's guess. Not in the address book, that's for sure. I could enter all the waypoints manually but I refuse to do that on principle. Looks like the Nuvi will be making another trip this summer after all.

Comments

• Spyder63 231 Points
    I bought a 2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E which came with Garmin based navigation and I too thought it was a good thing. But we are not even offered/allowed the option to upload anything to the unit - no POIs, voices, vehicles, trips, etc. I did take a chance and simply added a Voice folder to the USB update drive at the root level and it accepted my selected voices from my Nuvi 2699. (I missed Karen, my Aussie voice). I'm surviving with this "watered-down" Garmin, but I too will pack my Nuvi although I do have Apple Car Play and could try the Apple navigation if needed. This truck also supports Andriod Auto.
  • lmacmil 91 Points
    Spyder63 said:

I bought a 2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E which came with Garmin based navigation and I too thought it was a good thing. But we are not even offered/allowed the option to upload anything to the unit - no POIs, voices, vehicles, trips, etc.

I discovered yesterday that I can enter addresses by voice which reduces the inconvenience somewhat. Since I only have about 12 of my own waypoints, I'll probably do that unless I can figure out where the uploaded waypoints are stored.