This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Drive 61 - Editing a previously saved Trip Planner route

This is my first GPS. I've used Trip Planner directly on the GPS (no software) and created a delivery route of 100 stops. Some of these stops change from time to time and I'd like to be able to modify (delete and add new destinations to) this saved route. I've watched a ton of youtube video's and either I'm missing something obvious, or this feature no longer exists in the newer model. The Nuvi seems to be able to edit destinations from a saved route, but this option doesn't seem to be available in my Drive 61. So am I stuck with a route in Trip Planner once it's saved and not able to modify it further? Thanks for any help you may be able to provide to this newbie.

Comments

• t923347 405 Points
    As explained in the owners manual for the Garmin Drive 61 , which can be obtained from https://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/manuals.htm?partNo=010-01679-06&language=en&country=CA

Editing and Reordering Locations in a Trip
    Select Apps > Trip Planner > Saved Trips.
    Select a saved trip.
    Select a location.
    Select an option:
    To move the location up or down, select , and drag the location to a new position in the trip.

To add a new location after the selected location, select the + icon

To remove the location, select the wastepaper icon
  • t923347 405 Points
    This line should read:

To move the location up or down, select up/down arrows, and drag the location to a new position in the trip.
  • sussamb 655 Points
    edited June 28
    What is missing in the drive models when compared to nuvis is that you're unable to edit waypoint names in a saved trip. You're also not able to schedule a date, only times, which means you can't put trips into date order.

Minor annoyances but annoyances nevertheless and have suggested these options be added in a software update.
  • Danny_Michael 0 Points
    edited June 28
    It was that little plus icon that I didn't see. That lets me add what I need. I still don't see the wastepaper icon or any way to delete locations.

Edit: I see it now. You have to have more than 3 destinations before it shows.

Thanks for the help.
  • sussamb 655 Points
    edited June 28
    You only need three, not more than three. I guess that's logical since if you only have two they must be start and finish and if you delete one then you don't have a trip :)
  • t923347 405 Points
    edited June 28
    sussamb said:

What is missing in the drive models when compared to nuvis is that you're unable to edit waypoint names in a saved trip. You're also not able to schedule a date, only times, which means you can't put trips into date order.

Minor annoyances but annoyances nevertheless and have suggested these options be added in a software update.

Well that's a bit of a PITA. :-O

I guess the solution to the date order issue is to incorporate the date into the Trip name (e.g. July 4 Home to First Stop, July 5 First Stop to Second Stop, etc.)

I just ordered a refurbed DriveLuxe 50LMTHD and will be working on a comparison with my 3597LMTHD. This will be one thing I'll need to check out.
  • sussamb 655 Points
    Would be if they were ordered in alphabetic order but they aren't :(
  • t923347 405 Points
    Well that is a change. On my 3597 even the "Unscheduled Trips" always appear in Alpha order. If they are not in alpha order what order can they possibly be listed in - just the order that you add them to the device?
  • sussamb 655 Points
    I've not been able to fathom it out for sure, but yes, seems to be the order they're created.
  • t923347 405 Points
    edited June 30
    sussamb said:

I've not been able to fathom it out for sure, but yes, seems to be the order they're created.

Well I got my DriveLuxe 50 today and I can confirm your findings that Trips do not appear in any easily determined order. I played around a bit and it does look like they just appear in the order that you install them on the device, which makes ZERO sense to me. :-L

So I could establish just how they were being listed I created 2 new routes in Tyre and downloaded the 2 gpx files on to the Drive where they would get installed as Trips. I named the routes Aug 1 and Aug 2 and installed them in reverse order (Aug 2 installed first). With my 3597 these 2 Trips would have appeared as "Unscheduled Trips" with Aug 1 appearing first and Aug 2 second. With the DriveLuxe 50 they appeared as "Imported Trips" with Aug 2 first and Aug 1 second (just the way I'd installed them). Of course there is no ability to reorder them. X(

To make matter worse, I then installed all the Trips I had installed on my 3597 to the Drive unit. What a mess that was with all the imported Trips mixed up with the ones I'd created on the Drive, in no particular order that I could see. Lucky I make pretty descriptive file names or I may never have figures it out.

Oh, and my the way, there is no ability on this unit to schedule the Trip start dates either, as you mentioned above.
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    I just found out that there is a limit of 29 points which sucks. I wanted to plan a 112 point route and it splits it in 4 trips which makes it useless because I cant plan a proper route with all the points.... Basecamp route calculation sucks big time too.
  • sussamb 655 Points
    Limit of 29 viapoints but you can have hundreds of shaping points. I use both and have had no issues planning long routes. As for BaseCamp, I've never had any real issues ... which profile are you using? Have you changed any of the default settings?
  • sussamb 655 Points
    @t923347 Yep, another backwards step by Garmin. As I said, I have asked that it be changed (via http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/) so the more that do so the better the chance of it being changed.
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    sussamb said:

Limit of 29 viapoints but you can have hundreds of shaping points. I use both and have had no issues planning long routes. As for BaseCamp, I've never had any real issues ... which profile are you using? Have you changed any of the default settings?

It doesnt help me if I cant optimize the route to the 112 points altogether. All the points are contained with a 100km range and with all the roads around I wanted to get the best route possible.
    Basecamp doesnt work that well at optmizing the roads.
  • sussamb 655 Points
    Well 'best' is subjective. Maybe this will help, as it always works for me.

Enter start and finish point. Let BaseCamp calculate the route using the same map that's on your device and the Driving profile. Drag/drop the route as necessary until it goes the way you want. Change the points thus created to either shaping or via points depending on what you want. I only ever use viapoints IF I know I must stop at them (eg a fuel or food stop).

Now send the route to your device. Disconnect from your PC and let the device calculate the route. Now reconnect it to BaseCamp and compare the route on the device to your original route in BaseCamp. I find this is easiest if you change the colour of one of the routes. If at this stage the routes differ then add further points as needed (I rarely find this is necessary). Rinse and repeat until you're confident that the route on the device matches your original in BaseCamp.
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    That sounds like a stupid amount of work that the GPS or Basecamp should be able to handle with the OPTIMIZE option.
    The problem with the GPS is the limit of 29 points. I find that it optmize option actually works pretty good.
  • sussamb 655 Points
    edited July 2
    Not really, it's quite simply and generally quick. In your case the much longer part is inputting your 112 points!
  • I just ran into the 29 waypoint limit. I have a delivery route of 75 stops. I made a list of each stop as waypoints. When importing it splits my trip into multiple trips. I can input the waypoints manually into the GPS and it takes them all. It's just when importing from Basecamp where the limitation happens. Seems like something they should be able to fix since the GPS itself doesn't seem to be limited to 29 waypoints. Frustrating.
  • sussamb 655 Points
    edited July 9
    Your GPS is limited to 29 waypoints in a trip but you can add many more as saved places and BaseCamp will send many more than 29, just not in one trip. There is nothing to be 'fixed' :)
  • Forgive me, I'm new with this. So why can I add many more destinations directly into the GPS (with trip planner), but when using Basecamp I can only add 29 before it splits the route into multiples? I'm obviously missing some of the logic (or terminology) since I don't see why this happens when sending from Basecamp. You seem to be saying the limit is in the GPS itself, not in Basecamp. So when adding new destinations into the GPS, these are not actually waypoints? Thanks for any clarification you might be able to provide. I'm so confused.
  • sussamb 655 Points
    Trip planner can only accept 30 waypoints/viapoints whether sent directly from BaseCamp or created on the device. What your device and BaseCamp can also do is use shaping points, you can have hundreds of these between waypoints/viapoints. If you open Trip Planner on your device and then select a trip, shaping points are shown as small circles, sometimes depending on model with a line either side. Waypoints/viapoints are shown as flags. There is more info here http://www.poi-factory.com/node/45037
  • Thanks for that link. That helps. So my understanding is that when I'm building a route directly on the device using Trip Planner, they are actually adding shaping points (125 limit) and not waypoints. Only the start and end destinations are waypoints. Everything in between is a shaping point. Is this correct? I really appreciate you taking the time to get me over this hurdle.
  • So now I'm not so sure of my previous comment. In my device all destinations show as orange flags, which make me think they are waypoints, not shaping points. I have 75 orange flags in one trip when built directly on the device, which seems to contradict everything I've been told. I can click the orange flags and am offered to turn them into shaping points, but it seems this is not necessary. My confusion remains.
  • t923347 405 Points
    edited July 9
    Green flag is Start point, Orange flags are waypoints, Checker Flag is Finish point. Tapping an Orange flag gives you the option to turn it into a Shaping point which will turn the flag into a Circle (on my DriveLuxe 50 it's a Blue circle and on my 3597 it's an Orange circle).

The one disadvantage I can see with changing Waypoints to Shaping Points or vice versa, on the device, is that every time you make a change the unit recalculates the Trip. This could take awhile for a longer Trip, especially if your making a number of point changes which can only be done one at a time.
  • sussamb 655 Points
    @Danny What happens though when you tap Go and try to navigate that route?
  • Danny_Michael 0 Points
    edited July 9
    I'm not driving the route for a few more days. I have tapped Go, shows all 75 of my waypoints, then I tap Start and it tells me to drive route. I get no warnings.
  • Ok, I see now. When I tap Go and then scroll around and count the actual waypoints it cuts off at 29 and doesn't complete the route. NOW I understand. Thank you!
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    I am curious to know if theres a model that has a higher limit of waypoints?
  • sussamb 655 Points
    Not any current automotive device.
  • t923347 405 Points
    sussamb said:

A bit late but I think I have stumbled on a way to place saved Trips into, what amounts to, alpha order.

I have 6 trips loaded on the DriveLuxe 50 and as we determined the only order we could come up with was that they looked to be in the order that they were put on the device. The 6 trips I have are:

X Home to Holiday First Night
    Y Holiday First Night to Vacation House
    Oct 19 D to E
    Oct 17 B to C
    Oct 16 A to B
    Oct 18 C to D

These are not the real names I used but they represent how my list of Trips looked and this is exactly how I placed them on the DriveLuxe.

I then Decided to schedule a start time for each of my saved trips and I started with X Home to Holiday First Night and once I saved a Start Time to this trip the list of Trips changed to:

Oct 19 D to E
    Oct 17 B to C
    Oct 16 A to B
    Oct 18 C to D

I then scheduled the same start time for Y Holiday First Night to Vacation House and the list changed to:

Oct 19 D to E
    Oct 17 B to C
    Oct 16 A to B
    Oct 18 C to D

In those 2 cases with the same start time, they stayed in alpha order as they were originally but went in alpha order for the whole list with all the O's for Oct listed above them.

Now I tackled the Trips with dates at the beginning of the Trip Name. I first attempted to use the same start time for all 4 trips but that left the trips in the same order as they were already in. I then decided to place different start times on each of the Trips and this appeared to bring success. I put the start times as:

Oct 19 D to E - Start 7:03 am
    Oct 17 B to C - Start 7:01 am
    Oct 16 A to B - Start 7:00 am
    Oct 18 C to D - Start 7:02 am

and this resulted in the list going into strict alpha order:

Oct 16 A to B
    Oct 17 B to C
    Oct 18 C to D
    Oct 19 D to E

So it appears that you can put Trips in alpha order, at least, but it takes some manipulations of Trip names and Start Times to accomplish what should have happened correctly in the first place. ~X(
  • t923347 405 Points
    edited July 11
    On another forum Alandb noted that it was weird that Trips got listed in alpha order and questioned that start time order would be more logical. That forced me to have another look at my example above and I realized that the start times I had used forced the alpha order but at the same time could have also caused the list to appear in Start Time order (7.00, 7.01, 7.02, etc.)

I therefore took another look at my 6 Trips and this time I entered the Start Time as:

Oct 16 A to B - changed start time to 7:00am
    Oct 17 B to C - changed start time to 8:00am
    Oct 18 C to D - changed start time to 9:00am
    Oct 19 D to E - changed start time to 6:00am
    X Home to Holiday First Night - changed start time 6:15am
    Y Holiday First Night to Vacation House - changed start time to 10:00am

The result was a Trip list of:

Oct 19 D to E - start time 6:00am
    X Home to Holiday First Night - start time 6:15am
    Oct 16 A to B - start time 7:00am
    Oct 17 B to C - start time 8:00am
    Oct 18 C to D - start time 9:00am
    Y Holiday First Night to Vacation House - start time 10:00am

This now looks like Trips do get sorted by start time but to me THAT is just WEIRD as I don't take trips by start time. If I can't have Start Date order, I want alpha order. The way it is now one I can possibly get by screwing with file names and start times and the other I can't get at all (Start Date).

As Alan says, Garmin needs to fix this so their is some kind of logic to it.
  • sussamb 655 Points
    I've suggested they add the ability to allocate dates to trips as done previously. Also either order alphabetically or by distance from the current location.