This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Drive Units add new Trip Data Options

I received a refurbed DriveLuxe50LMTHD yesterday and among other things that are different between it and my Nuvi 3597 is the addition of a couple of new Trip Data Options which some may find helpful.

As in previous models that support Trip Data display on the map screen, it is turned on via Settings > Map & Vehicle > Map Tools >Trip Data and is available on the map screen buy pressing the 3Bar icon in the lower right corner (older versions) or the "wrench" icon in that location on the Drive models. Displaying the Trip Data on the right hand side of the map screen allows for up to 3 display fields and a wide variety of displayable items.

The two new display items that I have found are called Location and GPS Accuracy. Location allows for a continually updated display of your current Co-ordinates and GPS Accuracy is the continually updated display of the accuracy your GPS is getting in Feet or Metres, depending on your units settings.

Here is how I have used these new settings although they could appear in any of the 3 available fields.

Location and GPS Accuracy display with no destination entered

Location and GPS Accuracy display with a destination entered

Comments

• alanb 375 Points
    Unfortunately PhotoBucket has made image hosting a paid service, so your image doesn't show. It looks like we need to find a different reliable source for hosting images.
  • t923347 406 Points
    Didn't know that. I'll change the site and post changes to the links.
  • t923347 406 Points
    Try these pages:
    Location and GPS Accuracy display with no destination entered

http://imgur.com/awPwhod

Location and GPS Accuracy display with a destination entered

http://imgur.com/9KcZoDx

• alanb 375 Points
    The new links work. Too bad the images don't show in the post itself like it used to do with photobucket.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    alanb said:

The new links work. Too bad the images don't show in the post itself like it used to do with photobucket.

Does this work?

• t923347 406 Points
    They work for me. What code did you use?
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    Seems to work. :) The trick, as with all image hosting services, is that you must post the URL of the actual image file (ie: it should end with .jpg, .png or similar). I simply right-clicked on the image and opened it in a new tab, then copied the URL.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    edited July 1
  • t923347 406 Points
    edited July 1
    Finally got it. Thanks Boyd.

• Boyd 1794 Points
    edited July 1
    The image in your post shows for me. I assume you know this, but the way to post an image changed when Tim updated the software (several years ago now). You need to click the little picture frame icon, then paste the URL into that box.
  • t923347 406 Points
    That I knew. Thanks again.
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    Photobucket still works for me.
  • t923347 406 Points
    Zemartelo said:

I don't have $400.00 US to waste for a half dozen pictures a year. :-q
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    Im not paying anything.
  • alanb 375 Points
    PhotoBucket had become almost worthless with their obtrusive ads and slow load speed. Now they are completely worthless, and I can't imagine that they will survive long with this new pay to play policy.
  • t923347 406 Points
    I agree 100%. I wasn't aware of the need to pay for 3rd party hosting but certainly noticed the very slow load speeds. Glad I found Imgur.com which seemed to work pretty good for our purposes.
  • OldGeezer 0 Points
    Current location in latitude/longitude coordinates may be nice to know - but on the highway knowing the nearest mile marker is a lot more useful (and less "distracting").
    Exit numbers are usually based on the corresponding mile marker number.
    Electronic traffic signs usually cite exit numbers, intersecting roads, and mile marker numbers when referring to locations.
    Highway billboards usually cite exit numbers or mile marker numbers.
    Traffic reports on the radio cite exit numbers, intersecting roads, and mile marker numbers when referring to locations.
    CB radio users cite exit numbers, intersecting roads, and mile marker numbers when referring to locations.
    When speaking with another driver, or perhaps a tow truck service, giving your location on the highway in terms of a mile marker is a lot faster, easier and more reliable than trying to give a lat/lon coordinate of 9+ digits and hoping the person on the other end is using the same format as you are. With mile markers as a reference on the highway you have a near instant understanding of where both of you are. With lat/lon you will need to plot the locations on a map or in an application that can figure it out for you – not something you could safely do while driving.

Lat/lon coordinates are a great way to provide a precise location. However that precision is unnecessary for most verbal or printed communications on the highway. I have had a driver’s license for over 40 years and travelled on roads on 4 continents. During that time:
    I have never heard anyone in a civilian capacity attempt to give their location using latitude and longitude.
    I have never heard a traffic report on the radio give a location using latitude and longitude.
    I have never seen a traffic sign or billboard give a location using latitude and longitude.

If the DEZL and RV models can display "the next mile marker", then the "prestige" level Driveluxe and other Drive units should have the same ability.
  • alanb 375 Points
    I agree OldGeezer .... next mile marker would be a very useful feature.
  • t923347 406 Points
    edited July 2
    Zemartelo said:

Im not paying anything.

But can you still see the pictures? I could see the ones in my original post that came from Photobucket for many hours but now all I see is the "Please Update Your Account" image. The only visible pictures in this thread are the ones posted by Boyd and I using Boyd's mention.

• OldGeezer 0 Points
    I only see pictures visible in the 2:01, 2:03, and 2:07 posts.
  • t923347 406 Points
    Yep!
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    edited July 2
    ah, it was working this morning but not anymore this evening.
    Oh well I guess I will have to use other image hosting service.

I wonder how how bad the slaughter is going to be of people bailling out of photobucket..
  • alanb 375 Points
    edited July 2
    I checked a few of my old posts in a couple of forums that embed photobucket images, and they still seem to show those old images. But I have been reading in another forum that the old photobucket images are disappearing, and that is a shame for forum archives and Internet research.

I can't believe that photobucket thinks anyone would pay $400 for their crummy service. I think they need to change their company name by replacing the "b" with a letter about four positions up in the alphabet! :))
  • Zemartelo 102 Points
    It really doesnt affect me that much because I dont post alot of pics but its going to be a mess everywhere.
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    edited July 2
    alanb said:

But I have been reading in another forum that the old photobucket images are disappearing, and that is a shame for forum archives and Internet research.

People are complaining about this on another forum that I use as well. So apparently there really is no such thing as a free lunch. ;) I use my own website for the images I post here and elsewhere, I actually have three personal sites and all together they are nowhere near $400 a year!

BTW, I have a Dezl 760 that has the milepost feature but the data just didn't seem to be there on most of the roads I use, so it is blank. I suppose it is supported on major interstates. Gave up on using Garmin's devices awhile ago, so maybe that has improved?
  • Boyd 1794 Points
    edited July 3
    alanb said:

I can't believe that photobucket thinks anyone would pay $400 for their crummy service.

Actually they want you to pay $479.88 a year to embed their images on a forum like this. Was just looking at their pricing (photobucket.com/pricing). The $5.99 monthly plan allows no linking or 3rd party hosting. $9.99/month allows links but no 3rd party hosting. You need the $39.99 plan for that.

The obvious message is that they don't want to host images on other sites, which is understandable since there's nothing in it for them. The way they implemented the policy change is pretty rude though.

In their own words, "using the < img > tag to embed or display a JPEG image from your Photobucket account on another website such as a forum, Etsy, eBay auction listings, blog, etc. is definitively 3rd party hosting."

Have never used Photobucket myself, and not interested at those prices.