This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Connecting XM radio though Bluetooth enabled Garmin

With the 665 discontinued and my old Zumo 550 on the Fritz ... I am trying to come up with a way to use my xm radio through my Bluetooth enabled Garmin 2697 on my motorcycle. I am trying to avoid having to buy another motorcycle specific GPS ... I will cover it if raining. Basically I have an old portable xm radio. What I would like to do is somehow run it through my Garmin so I can use my Sena 10S Headset on my helmet. That way if I get a phone call, or directions I can have the xm temporarily disabled while I get my directions to turn left or answer my phone if the grandchildren call.

Any advice gleefully accepted.

Comments

• Boyd 1749 Points
    edited July 13
    That is not going to work, bluetooth on the Nuvi series will only connect to your phone. There are inexpensive bluetooth transmitters that you could connect to the radio however. Have never used these, so I don't know if they could work with your headset at the same time as the Nuvi though. Try a Google search for "bluetooth audio transmitter", some are as cheap as $10. Of course, it would not mute the radio when a phone call comes in.
  • lyrics36 80 Points
    Thank you. I will look. I have never heard of such a thing before. I wonder why Garmin discontinued support for any XM through the GPS/
  • t923347 405 Points
    It's not a matter of Garmin discontinuing support as you could never do this with a Nuvi or Drive GPS from Garmin. The Zumo may have, and could still be, different than these automotive units in the support your looking for.
  • Boyd 1749 Points
    edited July 18
    t923347 said:

It's not a matter of Garmin discontinuing support as you could never do this with a Nuvi or Drive GPS from Garmin.

That is almost true, but not quite. :) The Nuvi 7x5 series featured A2DP bluetooth which I believe is the same feature offered on the Zumo series. These devices have been very popular with motorcyclists. We had a thread on this topic awhile ago but I can't find it. Here's Garmin's product page: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/14926

"For hands-free calling, nüvi 765T integrates A2DP Bluetooth® wireless technology with a built-in microphone and speaker (optional external microphone available). Just pair it with your compatible Bluetooth phone and talk hands-free through the 765T while staying focused on the road. Simply dial numbers with nüvi's touchscreen keypad to make a call. To answer calls, just tap the screen and speak into its built-in microphone. Enjoy convenient one-touch dialing for contacts and points of interest. Even listen to high-quality stereo music on your headset with A2DP Bluetooth technology."