This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

How to test Garmin maps for another geographical region?

Let's say I purchased Garmin City Navigator NT Europe maps, downloaded them to an SD card and inserted it into my DriveLuxe 50. Now, while I'm still in USA, I'd like to test them just to make sure that they work properly. How do I do that? Let's say I want my DriveLuxe 50 to create a route from one European address to another. Is there any way to do something like that?

Comments

• t923347 406 Points
    I would think if you disabled the NA maps (Settings > Map & Vehicle > myMaps and removed the checkmark beside the NA maps) you could then insert the SD card into the 50 and once rebooted you should see the Euro maps as active under myMaps. At that point you should be able to search Europe locations using the Europe maps.

You maybe able to do this by inserting the Euro map SD card and not disabling the NA maps, I'm not sure.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    Yes you can have both maps active at the same time. Set your device to simulation mode and you can then easily search for places, create routes etc to set up your Drive before you go. Easier still use Garmins BaseCamp program to do all your planning then send all the data to your Drive.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    edited July 28
    On older Nuvi models I believe you actually had to engage simulation mode and choose a location in the supplemental map coverage area. IIRC, things like search and routing wouldn't work properly unless you were somewhere in the map region.

Has been a long time since I tried this, so maybe newer devices are a little different.
  • Ramaprem 110 Points
    I once did this with my 3590 or 3597.
    It was necessary to go into simulation mode in order to do this.

If I remember correctly, first I had to "navigate" – using the worldwide (almost featureless) map of the nuvi – with the touch screen to the area that I wanted to use.
    After that, you are "in" Europe.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    I think there is one more step, you have to tap a button that says "set location" (or sometthing like that) after you have moved the map.
  • t923347 406 Points
    edited August 6
    Once in Simulation Mode, pressing Set Location is correct. Also it wouldn't be the "almost featureless" map (basemap) you'd see if you had the Europe map selected in myMaps. It should be the fulling functional CN Europe map.
  • Ramaprem 110 Points
    Yes, using the "set location" feature sounds familiar now.

It's been awhile since I have done that, but this is what I was referring to regarding the basemap: I think I had to "drag myself" across the Atlantic from where I was to where I wanted to do the simulated trip. That's what I meant by using the base map; having to swipe the screen to your intended location area. While swiping between continents, there wouldn't be any features to speak of – because the basemap would be active. (Of course, in this case, the Atlantic Ocean wouldn't have many features!)
    I could be wrong; I could not be remembering this properly.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    That's certainly one way. Another is just do a Where to to somewhere on the map, just pick a city. Then you can set location there. I find that easier than scrolling across.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    edited August 8
    Ramaprem said:

I think I had to "drag myself" across the Atlantic from where I was to where I wanted to do the simulated trip.

I thought that was quite clear in your earlier post and found @t923347 's comment a bit odd. Of course you will see detail once you drag the basemap into the coverage area of the supplemental map.

But the basemap isn't really "featureless", see my post from 2008 over at gpspassion. :)

www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=113310

• t923347 406 Points
    I was simply saying that if the OP had a full version of CN Europe and if it was active you would see it, and all it features, and not just the limited things shown when using the Basemap.
  • AndreyT 104 Points
    edited August 25
    Thank you, everyone, for your answers. Indeed, I was able to do some basic map testing in simulation mode.

And I just used these City Navigator NT maps for real in Europe (Spain, France, Andorra). They work and appear to be up-to-date, at least in the areas I visited. However, the device itself (DriveLuxe 50) is virtually unusable inside such cities as Barcelona or Toulouse. Basically, in Barcelona it immediately loses satellites, never reacquires them and just displays some useless nonsense. Meanwhile, my smartphone and the car's built-in navigator had no problems achieving and maintaining satellite lock. I did some bike rides with Garmin Edge 510 inside Barcelona and it seemed to have no problems maintaining the lock either. Apparently, lack of GLONASS support in Garmin's automotive navigators is behind their failure to work inside such cities.
  • sussamb 664 Points
    edited August 26
    I don't think GLONASS has anything to do with it. A Garmin device inside a metal box, your car, and surrounded by tall close packed buildings as in Barcelona will always struggle as line of sight to sufficient satellites will be extremely difficult. Even with the additional GLONASS satellites it would struggle.
  • AndreyT 104 Points
    edited August 29
    Maybe... But my Android phone was sitting on the dashboard even deeper into the car exterior and it was having almost no problems locking onto the satellites. To test it I deliberately switched my phone to "Location -> Device only" mode (meaning I asked to use satellites only, not WiFi or cell towers for location purposes). That way it usually took longer to lock, but my phone was able to achieve and maintain satellite lock virtually everywhere. GPS Status app reported that my phone was able to lock onto 4 or 5 satellites inside Barcelona, about half of which were typically GLONASS satellites. I found a few spots where my phone would lose satellite lock as well, but these were significantly more rare than those where my Garmin device would lose it. I mean, the Garmin was virtually useless inside the city all the time.
  • Boyd 1792 Points
    edited August 29
    I think phone GPS has improved considerably in the past few years. My iPhone 6s+ is certainly as accurate as my Nuvi 3550 and Dezl 760. I use some very high resolution maps I make myself in the Galileo app with road data from the state that is accurate within one foot. I rarely see my vehicle positon off by more as much as 5 meters.

And the ability to use wifi plus cellular signal is a big advantage in dense urban areas. My phone is much, much better in mid-town New York than any of my dedicated Garmin units, including the Montana 600 (which was the best before). An additional plus is that it actually tracks position driving through tunnels that have cell service.